Sent Folder in Mac Mail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
Hey Guy's, I'm sure there is a perfectly simple explanation to this but I have to admit, at the moment I'm a bit lost.

When I composed a new e-mail in Mac mail it used to automatically save a copy in my sent folder, (In the sidebar). BT mail went down a couple of week's ago and was off in our area for four day's. I've noticed since it came back on, about a week ago, that it is no longer saving copies of my outgoing e-mails to the sent folder.

I've been into preferences and looked to see if there is a box to check but can't find anything anywhere. Any of you fella's got the simple solution to something I am so obviously missing.

I know there is a box that says something along the lines of ' Save a copy to my sent e-mails" or words to that effect. It's just finding where it is. The old brain box is going rusty I think with all this rain in Scotland.

Cheers, Colin.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Colin, some of the solution will depend on whether your BT account is POP3 or IMAP. If IMAP, check the preferences for the account to see if, under Mailbox Behaviors, the 'Store sent messages on the server' checkbox is checked.

We'll go from there ...

OP
Gandalph
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Colin, some of the solution will depend on whether your BT account is POP3 or IMAP. If IMAP, check the preferences for the account to see if, under Mailbox Behaviors, the 'Store sent messages on the server' checkbox is checked.

We'll go from there ...

Just checked and the box to "Save sent messages on the server" is unchecked. The account is a Yahoo IMAP. It used to be a BT Mail POP account but for some reason they changed over to IMAP

Last edited:
Reaction score
Then your sent messages should be showing up in the sidebar under ON MY MAC > Sent Messages. If you want the sent messages to be stored on the server, you'll have to check that box.

You should also check the mail account preferences to see whether the Outgoing mail server for the account is set appropriately.

OP
Gandalph
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've checked the Mail Preferences Ron and everything is set up just fine.

The whole of BT are changing their Mailing Service over to God knows what in a couple of week's. In the short term I think I will just check the box to have the sent messages saved on the server until they get themselves sorted out. They where supposed to change over fully the BT Mail on 27th February this year but no one knows what happened. The mail has been off and on for Month's now.

Many thanks for your reply and help Ron4mac. I appreciate it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.