Printing from Finder does not open preferences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 7,1 13"/16GB/960GBSSD Yosemite 10.10.2
I tried to print a jpeg from Finder. It did not open the preferences so I could choose photo paper. It opened the image (full screen) in Preview, and simply started printing on regular paper 8.5x11. Thought it was supposed to open a dialog window. What am I doing wrong ?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your post is not entirely clear. I'm assuming you mean that when you tried to print the JPEG from Finder (actually from Preview) that your printer does not allow you to print on photo paper? Different applications spawn different functions of your printer. I run into the same problem using several different word processor applications. Check your printer settings making sure you're not missing any drop down menu options. Do you have any other apps that you can use to print the JPEG?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Did you do this by dragging the file to a printer icon on your desktop? If so, it's probably working the way it was designed. That method bypasses the print dialog and uses the printer's default settings. This method might be more what you are looking for.

OP
pws442
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess I was not clear. I WANT the PRINT preview dialog box to open from the Preview App. I need to tell the printer what paper to use, and what size, etc. I can open the image in any of a number of Apps, and the print command will show the dialog window. I just thought Command/P would do the same. It just opens the Preview App and prints it.

OP
pws442
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, Slydude, dragging the image to a desktop or dock icon immediately started printing, which is not the desired action. I NEED to change the settings sometimes. The link implies that the Finder print command will open the printer dialog. It does not on my OS X 10.9.4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I guess I was not clear. I WANT the PRINT preview dialog box to open from the Preview App. I need to tell the printer what paper to use, and what size, etc. I can open the image in any of a number of Apps, and the print command will show the dialog window. I just thought Command/P would do the same. It just opens the Preview App and prints it.
That was perfectly clear to me in your initial post. I just didn't have an answer.

Yes, Slydude, dragging the image to a desktop or dock icon immediately started printing, which is not the desired action. I NEED to change the settings sometimes. The link implies that the Finder print command will open the printer dialog. It does not on my OS X 10.9.4
Learned something new here. I never print that way. If you need to make changes to the settings, you shouldn't either. I guess it's designed that way to be a faster process.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I also have 10.9.4 and print JPEG (and other format) images which I do as follows: Double Click image which opens it in Preview. Then Click on File from the Menu Bar and Select "Print" which immediately opens up a Preference pane allowing me to select which printer (I have two) and determine all the other factors I require.

As far as I know, this is the default option in Preview and has been through many previous iterations of OS X, certainly as far back as Snow Leopard.

Assuming you follow the same protocol, it should do the same. Are you doing anything differently from what I do?

Ian

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I understood what you wanted to do. Sorry if that wasn't clear. I guess what I am wondering is how you are starting printing. In this case how you start printing matters. If you single click the file in the Finder and choose Print you do not get the dialog you want. If you double click the file and open Preview you do with a keystroke or two.

This should get you what you want though it does take a few keystrokes:

1. Double click the image you want to print. This will open Preview.
2. Press Command and P simultaneously.
3. If all you see are options for the number of pages to print click Show Details. This opens a dialog with more options. The setting to change paper type is in the drop down menu that says Preview.

BTW If you have a series of settings you use frequently you can define a Preset with those settings so you don't have to choose them every time. You still have to use Command P to get the dialog box open though.

OP
pws442
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, if Command P from Finder would do that, I would not be doing this post. If I open the file from an APP, life is good, via Finder commands, not so.

M

MacInWin

Yep, that's the way it works. If you want the default print settings, CMD-P from Finder will do, otherwise, you have to open the image in an app (Preview, for example).

OP
pws442
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yet, there are so many HELPFUL links in this thread describing just exactly what Finder DOESN'T do. Hmmm.... Guess you get what you pay for.

M

MacInWin

Well, I wouldn't be so cynical about it. It's more like complaining that your hammer doesn't do screws properly. Yeah, I can drive them in but it's not as good as a screwdriver. Yep, that's the way it works.

OP
pws442
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, I'm not being cynical. HOWEVER, so many people either misunderstood (i.e. didn't read) my post, or offered links that did the thing I was complaining about. I KNOW I can open the app, but Finder print, and dragging to the icon simply do the default operation. How can you possibly set up a default when you may do a photo, or may do a document; not to mention the size of the photo.

Sorry, but posting just to post is a waste of time. Trying to find out why things that this site says will work, and simply hearing the regurgitation of the official party line is not in the best of interest.

No offense, sir.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Won't waste your time well..............

M

MacInWin

@pws442, I have the printer set up for default draft, color, letter size paper printing. So for 90%+ of what I want to do, what you did worked. If you do mostly photo printing, you could set up your printer with whatever defaults you want and do the same with jpeg images.

There is no "official party line" here. Just a bunch of folks trying to help others.

Your post was offensive. I don't post here "just to post." I was thinking of the people who read this thread later and wonder why you didn't get your problem solved.
Sorry, but posting just to post is a waste of time. Trying to find out why things that this site says will work, and simply hearing the regurgitation of the official party line is not in the best of interest.
Those comments were dismissive and demeaning to the folks who come here to help others and adding a "No offense, sir" at the end doesn't make it any the less so.

OP
pws442
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No advice is better than bad advice. But, I'm gone now.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
And that's a wrap..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.