Mac Mail no longer connecting to any e-mail accounts

Reaction score
My problem has some similarity to diazden's "I cant see my Emails" thread, but with a twist.

On Monday of this week, I opened one of my Mail readers (I have a version installed in each of four user accounts, each checking different e-mail accounts) and found the little pyramid with an "i" inside next to every account.

I clicked to open all accounts, but nothing happened.

I tried downloading new e-mail anyway, but nothing happened.

I went to another user account and found the same problem -- as I did with all my user accounts.

I shut down all user accounts and rebooted. Nada.

I shut down again, but waited an hour to reboot. Nada.

I tried to re-open individual e-mail accounts rather than all of them. Nada.

All of the accounts can be accessed using Mail2Web (a horrible way to monitor multiple e-mail accounts), which shows I do have a solid Internet connection and there is nothing wrong with my mail servers.

Don't know if it matters, but last week my Google and Cloud accounts (only on a couple of the Mail installs) became permanently offline, just as all did this week.

I could simply re-install Mail, but the last time I did that, it closed access to all my e-mail accounts and I had to rebuild them.

I'm running the latest version of Mail for my OS (10.9.4) and have installed all OS updates. This is on a 4-year-old, 27" iMac with 2.66 GHz i5 processor, 16GB of DDR3 1067MHz RAM and a 4TB internal drive.

Anybody have this problem before or otherwise have suggestions on how to fix it?

Thanks,
J.R.

Reaction score
Realise that this reply is coming late but after similar problems myself I wonder if this is the same issue.

First off switch off or shut down your router.

Shut down your mac. (if there are any other devices on the network shut them down too.)

Leave off the router for 30 seconds minimum and switch it back on.

Start up your devices.

I have found that this seems to clear the problem in my case.

Another issue could be that your IP number is being blocked by your mail provider after failed attempts and may need to be cleared.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.