Epson Stylus Photo 230 wont print to CD!

B

Bexford

Hi all

I bought this printer yesterday specifically to be able to print to CD - and it is the ONE function that WILL not work!

I have a dual 2.3GHz G5 running OS 10.4.3....installed the drivers from the disc. inetrestingly, the drivers on the disc were only for the R200 and R300 models...so visited the Epson site and found some for the R230.

Added the printer in the usual way....but under the Epson USB setting...the drivers do not appear. Have repaired disk permissions....re-installed and restarted etc....to no avail!

the error message I get is: 'The Epson printer driver dealing with CD printing is not installed'

is it possible that this funciton is not compatible with my version of OSX?

has anyone got any ideas?? Epson were less than helpful when I called them so am now at a dead end.

any suggestions gratefully received....

cheers!
Bexford

OP
B

Bexford

Hi again....

I thought I would reply to my own post (!) as FINALLY, after a week of messing around - this problem is on the verge of being solved!

Epson have just confirmed that the version of Epson EasyPrint CD included with this printer (1.4.0), aswell as the downloadable drivers from their website, IS INCOMPATIBLE WITH OX 10.4.4+

thankfully - they have produced a CD to correct this problem which is being sent direct to my office.

So - if anyone else out there struggles with this - call Epson and get them to send the CD. you will need to give the version of Epson Easy Print you are using and the serial # of the printer itself.

I will let you know how it goes but sounds hopeful at this stage!

cheers
Bexford

Bexford said:
Hi all

I bought this printer yesterday specifically to be able to print to CD - and it is the ONE function that WILL not work!

I have a dual 2.3GHz G5 running OS 10.4.3....installed the drivers from the disc. inetrestingly, the drivers on the disc were only for the R200 and R300 models...so visited the Epson site and found some for the R230.

Added the printer in the usual way....but under the Epson USB setting...the drivers do not appear. Have repaired disk permissions....re-installed and restarted etc....to no avail!

the error message I get is: 'The Epson printer driver dealing with CD printing is not installed'

is it possible that this funciton is not compatible with my version of OSX?

has anyone got any ideas?? Epson were less than helpful when I called them so am now at a dead end.

any suggestions gratefully received....

cheers!
Bexford

Reaction score
EPSON CD print problem

Hi there. I, too, have the 'EPSON printing software with CD printing is not installed' error. I am using a dual G5 Mac tower with 10.4.8. I had printed hundred of CD just fine (Epson SP R220) and then suddenly, yesterday, it generates the error and I cannot print CD anymore, even with the manual print button in EPSON Print CD software. No solution so far.

I have a powerbook G4 running the "same" OS rev and no problem with the Epson Print CD software on that system.

I DID notice that the day before, my G5's screen resolution spontaneously changed, and so I am wondering if the problem might be in some printer/parameter ram or other management file. I will now try to do a clean 10.4 install and reinstall the printer software and see if I can bring it back to where it was.

If you have any suggestions toward a remedy PLEASE emaill me at [email protected].

THANKS and good luck!
Phil.

Reaction score
would anyone have that epson phone number to contact im having the same issues.. thanks

Reaction score
Epson Stylus Photo won't print to CD!

I previously posted the solution that worked for me here (skip to the Jan 19, 2007 entry):

Printing: CDs and DVDs

To reiterate, here's what worked for me:

When I origially bought my Stylus Photo R220, it worked perfectly, CDs printed just fine. I suddenly developed "The EPSON printer driver dealing with CD printing is not installed" problem and could not for the life of me figure out what I had done that could have suddently prevented me from printing on CDs yet still was able to print on paper.

I read everything I could find on the web about it, but there was no clear answer. It all seemed like voodoo solutions to me. I emailed Epson with the same complaint from two different email addresses. I figured that way I would get answers from two different tech support guys and between the two of them hopefully come up with some kind of solution.

Well it worked. On guy sent me the party line answer "Reinstall the driver" yada, yada. BUT the second guy, though not hitting it on the head, gave me a clue to how to fix the problem when he said that I MUST select EPSON USB. I thought that was interesting so I went into the printer install dialog to see what I might have been doing wrong. Here is what you need to do:

1. To be safe, first UNinstall as much of your printer software as you can. First, delete the printer from your printer list. On a Mac you can do this by going to System Preferences > Print & Fax and select the printer and click the "-" square.

2. Run the Epson driver installation software. ALSO, make sure you have installed the EasyPrint software. To ensure that it is installed, on the Epson disk, go to the folder Titles > EasyPrint > English > Installer and run that Installer.

3. Then go System Preferences > Print & Fax and click the "+" square to add the printer.

4. HERE IS THE IMPORTANT PART that no one tells you: DO NOT select the printer from the printer list in the printer browser window!!! INSTEAD, click the "More Printers" button at the BOTTOM of the window!!! On the NEXT window, select EPSON USB in the pulldown menu and click the EPSON printer that shows up there.

That's what I did and then I was able to print to CDs no problem.

Afterward, I realized that the reason I suddenly had lost my ability to print to CDs was that at some point when I went to print a letter using Microsoft Word, it kept stoppng my printer queue. I had to print to a pdf file and then the pdf file would print just fine!!! I figure maybe something got corrupt in a printer preference, so what I had done was delete the printer from the print list and then re-select the printer from the obvious place; The list in the printer browser after you click the "+" square. BIG MISTAKE. You MUST select the More Printers button and select EPSON USB from the pulldown menu. The problem with Word had nothing to do with file corruption. Instead, the problem was that for some reason I had 8.5x11 selected as my paper size, and when I change it to US Letter, everything printed just fine!!!

Anyway, I have no idea why Epson made their software such that you can't selet the printer right there where it is displayed in the printer browser window, but instead have to ignore what seems like the obvious choice and go through the "back door" by selecting More Printers, etc.

Go figure!

Phil

PS: If this helps you, PLEASE send me a line at [email protected]. It would be nice to know that all this work actually helped someone ELSE too, because I know how frustrating this problem can be if you are hit by it.

Reaction score
similar problem epson not printing cd

Hi there,
I have a similar problem with Epson R220, which I bought to print cds and which did until recently. It gives me a message that the tray is not set correctly. Any other ideas?

Egg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
many
Hi there,
I have a similar problem with Epson R220, which I bought to print cds and which did until recently. It gives me a message that the tray is not set correctly. Any other ideas?

Seems it is due to some software update. I have Alum Mac book w/ 10.5.x.x, 6 GB done everything under the sun including restores from a backup. No joy, and I don't have time to f--- with it. Does seem to work on an XP virtual machine with VM Ware (GASPPPP) I know it is heresy but I happen to have one ( I do have Ubuntu too so I am not all Bad.)

Works on 10.4 with Intel Imac 1.83G 2GB...ie update probs (epson? Mac? gremlins?)

I would say abandon it for a bit there is tons of traffic on this prob from Mac to Vista. Crap Drivers I suspect. Outsourcing has it's probs too. But I NEVER had good luck with Epson. Go HP for your next disposable printer (Hah!) ( got an old 3300 all in one that loves airport bonjour etc.....and an old Deskjet 645 that rattles, creaks but still prints. Epson 2 yrs max.

Regards,
Egg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.