Unable to check/select songs on iPod via iTunes

Reaction score
I have the iPod Touch plugged into my Macbook Air. In iTunes, the checkmark box in front of each song is grayed out and I can't add a check to the songs.

Thanks for any help.

iPod touch

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Where are the songs located? In other words, where is your iTunes library that contain the songs?

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the response.

My ipod is connected yo my laptop, and my iTunes library is on the MacBook.

I tried to send this reply via the iPhone, but on the MacRumors website, I did not see a way to sign in or reply.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Something is not right. The songs being grayed out like that probably mean that they're not available or missing. Can you open your iTunes library using the Finder on your MBA and verify that the songs are actually there?

Also, if you want to access our forums from your iPhone or iPod Touch, go to the iTunes App Store and download - install the "Mac Forums App" which includes the latest Tapa Talk software. The app is free and works very well.

OP
C
Reaction score
The songs are not graded out. I am asking why I cannot put a check in the box in front of the songs.

C

chas_m

Chip is trying to mess around with the checkmarks on the songs that are present on his iPod *as viewed from his Mac's iTunes.* You cannot uncheck or check the boxes because that's not how iTunes sync works.

The correct way to change songs synced on the iPod is to go into the syncing menu and choose what songs/albums/playlists you want to sync there, then sync the iPod to that.

OP
C
Reaction score
I thought the iPod songs had to be checked so I can play them, that only checked songs are played. I'm not trying to sync the songs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.