Bizzar Flashing (NOT "Flickering") with new MBPr 15'' October 2013 ??

Reaction score
EDIT: Forgot to include more detailed specs. October 2013 15'' Macbook Pro retina, 2.3gHZ processor, 16gb Ram, both the NVIDIA and Iris Pro Graphics Cards [maybe it has something to do with this? switching graphics card use??], OSX 10.9.4, 512gb flash memory; The problem has happened when connected to power adapter, as well, I believe, when using the battery.

Hello, everyone! –– I've tried searching for something regarding this worrysome occurence with my new MBPr, but all search results are flooded by reports of "flickering", which I have checked out and which do not describe my issue. Please help!

This is the issue: Every now and then, without any apparent cause or warning, the screen of my MBPretina will FLASH, so quickly that it's hard for me to describe what is actually on the screen at that moment. It looks kind of like the whole screen just turns white or something, the it's such a brief moment that it's really hard to say.

IT DOES SEEM, however, that though sometimes the flash is completely random, I have a feeling that it has happened in correlation with a change in state, such as logging out or switching applications (?), but really, I'm not sure. This has happened maybe once or twice a day (maybe 8 hours of computer use per day) for the past 3 days I've had the computer.

Does anyone have some idea what this could be? Anyone heard anything about this? If I don't hear back I'll have to call the apple store or something, but I've never needed to use apple support before, and once when I did call whoever I spoke too knew less than I did, so I'm not hopeful :( I also don't want to try to get an exchanged computer if this is "normal" or insignificant, though.

THANK YOU!!

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's probably best to make an appointment with your local Apple Store genius bar and have them check your rMBP out by running diagnostics. Your Mac is still under warranty, so take advantage of it.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks, that's pretty much what I had in mind. Though I'm pretty sure I at least identified the source of the "problem", which is likely when the high-performance graphics card kicks in. The flash happens when opening Adobe Premiere Pro, which uses the second card. Maybe the other times are also related to this, hopefully it's not an issue.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're probably right, but it's an annoying issue which should not be occurring. There is software available which will allow you to "lock" in which graphics card to use, however, using the higher end GPU will wear the battery down much more quickly. Anyway it's best to let Apple check it out. Let us know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.