user name or password is incorrect

Reaction score
Hi my service provider shut down our e-mail accounts because somebody was using them for sending spam. I called and they entered a new password so that I could use my email. The problem is I can get and send mail on my desktop but now my Ipad keeps showing this every time I try to send mail. It says Cannot send mail because the user name or password for embarqs outgoing mail server is incorrect. I put the new password in under settings for incoming mail server and do not know what else to do. Nothing has been changed except the password. Thanks I am at a loss

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Try shutting down your iPad after you've made the changes and then start it up again and check.

You may need to redo the procedure again until it finally sticks with the correct settings.

Don't ask me why but it happens. :(

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Windermere some times the easiest way to fix problems with altered email settings on a portable device like an iPhone or iPad is to simply delete the account completely and set it up again with the new settings or password that way everything is done for you.
Just go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Accounts > Delete Account. After that shut down and restart then go to Add Account, in Accounts enter your details and the new password and all of your messages will reload. I know it sounds a bit drastic but it is really quite easy and has solved multiple problems with my wife's gmail accounts in the past.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Be aware, if it's a POP email account, I believe all saved emails will be lost without a backup when the account is deleted, except for those possibly still left on the server, depending on the previous settings.

PS: One can usually always check using webmail.

I've found Apple's Mail app setups and configurations method to be a bit of a PITA, especially compared to some other email clients, and especially the old Eudora client.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Be aware, if it's a POP email account, I believe all saved emails will be lost without a backup when the account is deleted, except for those possibly still left on the server, depending on the previous settings.

PS: One can usually always check using webmail.

I've found Apple's Mail app setups and configurations method to be a bit of a PITA, especially compared to some other email clients, and especially the old Eudora client.

Good point pm-r all my accounts are IMAP so never been an issue for me but my wife has successfully deleted and re instated a gmail POP account without losing any saved content but that was in Mac Mail on a laptop so locally saved.;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As a long time Mac user and even a Mac support tech but now a senior I've always been aware of the possibility of one loosing any of their needed data. And as a fairly new owner/user of an older iPad 2, a lot of the iOS stuff scares me a bit and so easy to loose any data on those iDevices it seems.

And don't get me going on what Apple actually considers a backup of their iDevices!! But the old teenagers words it SUCKS sure comes to my mind. :( ;)

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As a long time Mac user and even a Mac support tech but now a senior I've always been aware of the possibility of one loosing any of their needed data. And as a fairly new owner/user of an older iPad 2, a lot of the iOS stuff scares me a bit and so easy to loose any data on those iDevices it seems.

And don't get me going on what Apple actually considers a backup of their iDevices!! But the old teenagers words it SUCKS sure comes to my mind. :( ;)

Well as a long time user and senior myself I know what you mean. I have always wanted local backup of my data hence I have Carbon Copy Cloner (bootable) and Time machine running side by side but I see the trend is now off-site backup ie iCloud or other data base alternatives. This is making us more and more dependant on paid for storage.
In principal I can see the wisdom of this (like if your house burns down) but can you imagine restoring all of your files from the cloud after a major crash/accident. At my internet speeds it would take about 4 days. Sorry Admin should have stuck this in the Lounge.:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.