Overcharging battery?

M

michaelk69

Hello everyone, and thanks for all of the help you've given me so far . . . I have just bought my first Apple (G4 Powerbook) and I am still getting to grips with 'the switch' . . . and believe me, this site has really helped!

Just one other (very basic, sorry!) question though:

Is it okay to leave my Powerbook charging for long periods of time, e.g. overnight? Or is that bad for the battery?

OP
H

hokiethang

michaelk69 said:
Hello everyone, and thanks for all of the help you've given me so far . . . I have just bought my first Apple (G4 Powerbook) and I am still getting to grips with 'the switch' . . . and believe me, this site has really helped!

Just one other (very basic, sorry!) question though:

Is it okay to leave my Powerbook charging for long periods of time, e.g. overnight? Or is that bad for the battery?

I havent had a problem. I dont turn my powerbook off though so mine keeps using power when im not using it.

OP
M

michaelk69

hokiethang said:
I havent had a problem. I dont turn my powerbook off though so mine keeps using power when im not using it.

Okay, I gotchya, thanks. I don't really plan to turn mine off either, unless I am travelling or something like that.

I just wasn't sure if it is better to keep going with the charge fully/discharge fully cycle ad infinitum, or whether I should just keep it plugged in all of the time (when I am just sitting at a desk, and don't need mobility, I mean) even if that means having it plugged in for 8+ hours.

OP
S

StarManta

i have kept mine plugged in overnight for months (and generally the entire weekend as well), and the last time i ran it from full charge to auto shut-off, it went roughly 3 hours. I think it's fine. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
Overcharging batteries used to be a problem on Cell phones, but with new cell phones, it stops charging when it becomes full, so it's no longer a problem.

Anyways, I'm getting to the fact that Laptops have probably had the technology to not charge anymore after it's full.

sKaD

OP
M

michaelk69

Okay, thanks so much again . . . I know that these are really very basic (and possibly stupid) questions, but I am so in love with my Powerbook (already, after three days?!) that I don't want to do anything to mess it up!

Thanks very much for all your help.

OP
H

hokiethang

michaelk69 said:
I am so in love with my Powerbook (already, after three days?!) that I don't want to do anything to mess it up!

Thanks very much for all your help.

What??!?!! 3 days, thats a long time for it to take normally. It took me 10 hours. :cool: :D

OP
F

fej1

The performance of lithium-ion batteries is unaffected by how long the charger is plugged in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.