Macbook air/starting college

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
Okay I am sure I could have googled this, but I really like this forum. My twin boys are starting college very soon so I am going to bite the bullet and splurge for two. I believe the MBA's are the way to go. So now what I am asking is: are the new MBA's out? as of 2014? and would you give any advice as to what add ons that I may need or any other input. Thanks much.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The current MBA is the new one for 2014, there will not be another one this year.

Depending on the how your kids will use the computers, the MBA will be fine. You want to make sure you get the most amount of RAM supported on the machines. The SSD's can be upgraded later on, so thats no biggie.

Other than that, not sure what "add ons" you were referring to.

My wife has the 13" MBA and she really likes it. Great battery life and for her browsing and other simple needs it really works well..

OP
firesidedog
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The current MBA is the new one for 2014, there will not be another one this year.

Depending on the how your kids will use the computers, the MBA will be fine. You want to make sure you get the most amount of RAM supported on the machines. The SSD's can be upgraded later on, so thats no biggie.

Other than that, not sure what "add ons" you were referring to.

My wife has the 13" MBA and she really likes it. Great battery life and for her browsing and other simple needs it really works well..
I appreciate your reply. So I am to believe the SSd's can be upgraded? I guess i should have researched this. Also as a case, I realize this is a personal preference, but do you have any recommendations?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I appreciate your reply. So I am to believe the SSd's can be upgraded? I guess i should have researched this. Also as a case, I realize this is a personal preference, but do you have any recommendations?

Yup, the memory is soldered on, but the SSD is a stick that can be upgraded.

Recommendation depend on the use case. For my work, I have a top-of-the line Retina Macbook Pro which suits my needs. But this might be overkill for others..

So if your kids are using the MBA to take notes in class, browse the web, send emails or something. Then the MBA's are fine. If they are going into engineering and will need to run simulations, install a lot of software and code and run applications in emulators/simulators and so on, perhaps the MBP is a better fit for those..

OP
firesidedog
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup, the memory is soldered on, but the SSD is a stick that can be upgraded.

Recommendation depend on the use case. For my work, I have a top-of-the line Retina Macbook Pro which suits my needs. But this might be overkill for others..

So if your kids are using the MBA to take notes in class, browse the web, send emails or something. Then the MBA's are fine. If they are going into engineering and will need to run simulations, install a lot of software and code and run applications in emulators/simulators and so on, perhaps the MBP is a better fit for those..
Thanks for you immediate reply. I appreciate your input. Yeah, I'm thinking of an upgrade for my own personal use of a 2014 MBP.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.