Ipad Apps closing and going to home screen

Reaction score
Whats the problem with an ipad when its often kicking me out of applications and returning to home page?? In the past it was very infrequent and i would just restart it and it would be ok, but lately it is frequent and restarting doesnt usually help for long. Anyone???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Hmmm...??? No iPad guru's here today since this morning??? ;)

I don't know and I'm a fairly new user to an older iPad 2, but whenever I have some goofy problem, a restart normally works.

But a few months ago, that didn't help and I decided to bypass Apple's recommendation that a Reset shouldn't be done, but that's what I did, and after checking some settings it has been working a bit better.

Try these, but take Apple's Reset advice with a grain of salt. ;)

iOS: Not responding or does not turn on
Turn your iOS device off and on (restart) and reset

How to Reset iPad

Maybe that will work for you????

C

chas_m

Sometimes when people say they "restarted" their iPad, they actually mean "put it to sleep momentarily and woke it up again." I'm always a bit shocked at how many iPad owners are unaware of how to turn the device completely off. Is that what you've done, powered it down completely?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Yes, there's sure a lot of misuse of the Restart and Reset descriptions out there.

And yes I've had to do the Restart several times but it didn't work completely to fix things and I had to do a complete Reset a few months ago, and finally had to do it several times and finally set it up as a new device.

Now just a Restart, shutdown, wait a bit and then start it up, usually fixes any problem.

Reaction score
sounds like you need to update iOS if you don't update the apps stop working from the app store because they support the latest version of iOS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Whats the problem with an ipad when its often kicking me out of applications and returning to home page?? In the past it was very infrequent and i would just restart it and it would be ok, but lately it is frequent and restarting doesnt usually help for long. Anyone???

Hi Shanda - the proper advice has already been given, but please see the quote below so you understand the difference between an iPad 'Restart' and a 'Reset' - if not done, please 'Reset' your iPad to see if that maneuver helps (kind of like a soft vs. a hard boot of a standard computer) - corrects most misbehaving problems and does not affect your settings, data, or apps - good luck & let us know. Dave :)

When an app (or several) are misbehaving, I usually go through the following steps:

1. Force Close - open the multi-tasking bar (double tap the 'home buttom' or use multi-gesturing and swipe up):
a. iOS 6.x - press & hold an app until all begin to 'jiggle'; find the offending app(s) and press the 'red circle w/ minus sign' - return to the home screen & try again.
b. iOS 7.x - find the offending app - then press and drag to the top of the screen - return to the home screen & try again.

2. Restart - press & hold the 'Sleep/Awake' (a.k.a. power) button until a red slider appears (may take a few seconds) - move the slider to turn off the iPad; then press & hold the same button until the Apple logo appears - wait for a restart.

3. Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears - this may take a longer time, so have patience; the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.