Outlook 2011 for Mac

Reaction score
Hi,

Whenever I close Outlook, a message appears saying an error occurred. ”Microsoft Outlook must be closed because error has occurred. Any unsaved data will be lost”.

I use Outlook 2011 for Mac (update 14.4.3) to access my company's exchange servers.

Please let me know how should I fix this...

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Very little information to go on.... Something may be holding Outlook open or your Outlook identity data base may be corrupt. You can try repairing the data base by follow the instructions in this Microsoft KB article: How to repair the Outlook data base to resolve errors.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I cant rebuild Identity as I have a Exchange account.

I don’t know what started the error as it was already there when I started using it…

When I open my Outlook, everything works fine (i.e Syncs my folders, connected to mailbox etc) but then it quits by saying:

"Microsoft Outlook must be closed because an error occurred. Any unsaved work may be lost".
Also When I click on the send/receive button in Outlook, an error message appears “The application Microsoft Outlook Canceled logout” and then new email shows up
Please let me know if you need more information
Thanks!

Screen Shot 2014-06-11 at 3 46 23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-08-05 at 11.44.51 AM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It looks like some type of a communication error between your Mac and the Exchange Server. Do you have someone locally that can trouble shoot it for you? Someone from IT perhaps? You can also see if one of the Microsoft VIPs that hang out in their on line forums might have an idea on what the error means. Here is the LINK.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS
Solution for Microsoft Outlook must be closed because error has occurred

You can follow below steps for resolving this issue as “Microsoft Outlook must be closed because error has occurred”.

1. Close All Applications & windows
2. Move the Outlook Preferences to the desktop
Close all applications >> Go Menu >> Home >> Open Library >> Preferences
Open Preferences & drag below files:
- com.microsoft.Outlook.plist
- com.microsoft.outlook.database_daemon.plist
- com.microsoft.outlook.database_utility.plist
- com.microsoft.outlook.office_reminders.plist
- com.microsoft.Outlook.SyncServicesPreferences.plist
Start Outlook. Does the error occur? >> No, the error no longer occurs >> Quit Outook >> Move any of the above file back to its real place >> Start Outlook

3. Move the Microsoft User Data folder to the desktop
To move the Microsoft User Data folder to the folder >> close all applications >> Go Menu >> Click Documents >> Drag Microsoft User Data folder to the desktop

4. Use a different user account to test Outlook

5. Download & install the latest office update
To obtain updates with Office for Mac application
Start any office for Mac application >> Help menu >> Check for updates >> Microsoft AutoUpdate dialog box

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.