Using Mac Office for Windows Software

Reaction score
Hi,
I have Parallels installed on my Mac. I'm running a Windows software which has an Export to Word option. I do not have Office on Windows side installed, just have Office for Mac. When I go to export, it says I need to have Word installed. Is there a way to have my Windows software utilize Office on the Mac side so I can do this export to Word?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No. If you wish to do this you need Office 2011 installed on the wahatever Mac you havem not shared with us, and Office 2010 or later on Windows. They do not cross over.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for that link ferrarr. But after looking through that, from what I understand I still need to have Word on the Windows side to tell it to use Word on Mac side instead. I was hoping that whenever I needed to open Word in Windows, I could tell Windows to open the document in my Mac environment instead, but don't think this is possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No you do need Office in both operating systems, OS X and Windows, for what you want. It will work quite smoothly.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey, thanks for that link ferrarr. But after looking through that, from what I understand I still need to have Word on the Windows side to tell it to use Word on Mac side instead. I was hoping that whenever I needed to open Word in Windows, I could tell Windows to open the document in my Mac environment instead, but don't think this is possible.

Download the free MS Office Word viewer from the MS download site and install it. That might work instead of having to install Office for Windows. If it doesn't, you're not out anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let's know how you go swanny!

So purchased Office 2010.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.