Cinema Display with Mac Mini quit working

Reaction score
I use older computer components due to budget restrictions. I'm presently running a 2009 (?) Mac Mini MC239LL/A with 10.6 Snow Leopard with a 2000 M8058 Cinema Display 22 inch monitor with an Apple DVI to ADC adaptor & a mini display port to DVI adaptor. At least I had been for several months, until there was a brownout or power failure in this rural neighborhood recently. The setup was connected to a surge protector. WHen the power came back I rebooted and discovered no image in the display. Since then I've checked that display works with a G5 tower I have. I've reset the PRAM. If I unplug the DVI to ADC Adaptor and plug it in again, I get a moment of light at the monitor on/off button, but no image. I connected the Mini to a laptop via Target mode also, and it seems to be fine. Not sure where to turn now. Any other ideas from those with more experience is much appreciated!:D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know for sure, but the surge may have wiped out your DVI to ADC adapter. I realize those are expensive to replace but I don't know of another way to check it out except by swapping. The display is OK since it works fine with your G5.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
There are three pieces of hardware involved in the original setup:

- Mac-Mini
- older Apple Cinema Display
- ADC to DVI adapter

You said that you've proven that the Mac-Mini and display still work. The only thing left is the ADC to DVI adapter. Like chscag mentioned…sounds like the ADC to DVI adapter is gone.

No need to even think about replacing it…since a replacement will most likely cost more than it would cost to purchase a newer more modern used display that doesn't need the adapter.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
When new, in about 1999, the ADC/DVI connector cost about US$100, and they are old, old, old. Had one fail in 2006 so purchased a 21" BenQ LCD display for not much more that the connector.

OP
P
Reaction score
Yes, it sounds like the ADC/DVI connector has died. Guess the surge protector didn't work. But I like both my Cinema displays, and I got them quite cheaply. I do photography & soon some video work. So, I may just seek out another ADC/DVI connector out there instead, used most likely, which is considerably less money than buying another brand of monitor.

Probably not important: I said I was running Snow Leopard, it's actually Mavericks.

(It says it's 3:30 PM for this post! I'm in CA where it's 8:3O AM)

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, I may just seek out another ADC/DVI connector out there instead, used most likely, which is considerably less money than buying another brand of monitor.

Not necessarily true. Unless you can find an ADC-DVI adapter at a very good price…as I mentioned earlier...a used more modern monitor will cost you less.

On my local Craig's List I can get nice used 22" monitors for around $50. $50+ is what you're going to pay for a used ADC-DVI adapter. Yes…the old Apple Cinema displays are nice…but they are still 1999 flat panel display technology. Things have advanced a bit since then!;)

But I can understand if you want to stick with the Apple Cinema display.:)

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks Nick - I would be very interested in hearing some of the details of the newer technology monitors over the Cinema.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Nick - I would be very interested in hearing some of the details of the newer technology monitors over the Cinema.

Ok…here you go. Newer 22" displays have:

- higher pixel density (sharper)
- better contrast ratios (difference between the whitest whites & blackest blacks)
- brighter
- faster response times (better for video playing…less stuttering on the display during fast actions). This is very noticeable even when moving the mouse pointer & moving windows around on the display (slower redraws)
- lighter weight (weights as low as 6-8 pounds). 22" Apple display is around 25 pounds.
- use less energy (newer 22" displays typically use around 18-25 watts…the 22" Apple display uses 62-77 watts).
- similar sized more modern 22" display's can have up to 1920 x 1080 resolution
- some monitors have built-in speakers
- some monitors have built-in height adjustment (22" Apple monitor doesn't have this)
- some monitors have extra USB ports
- many monitors have extra video port flexibility (VGA, DVI, HDMI, etc.)

And in the case of using an older 1999 Apple Cinema Display + Mac-Mini + ADC-DVI adapter…fewer wires/cables.

Of course if you wish to spend some extra money…you could also go with a larger display of 24" to 27"…or even 30" if wish to go really BIG!:)

HTH,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Like a 1999 car to a 2014 model actually ~ huge technological improvements.

Don't get me wrong ~ ADC (Apple Direct Connect) was marvellous in its day just not industry accepted.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.