Broke friend needs MacBook battery

C

chas_m

A friend of mine has a MacBook (1,1 version -- A1278 IIRC) and doesn't have the money for a high-quality replacement battery. Are there any battery vendors on Amazon anyone's had good luck with? I just don't want her house to burn down from crummy knockoffs, so she's willing to avoid the super-cheap batteries on my advice -- but are their any mid-price options you guys feel comfortable with?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I wish I could help chas. I think that the battery suppliers via eBay and Amazon (and the brand names that may be slapped on them) are sort of "hit & miss".

I know that we have had some members that have had good experiences with non-Apple battery's (but no brands, suppliers, or seller ID's were mentioned). The OP in this recent thread with an $18.95 battery seems to be happy with it:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/314424-max-ram-macbook-pro.html#post1599991

And then there are some folks who have had less than great experiences (check out this recent thread):

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ap...gsafe-charger-goes-off-every-few-seconds.html

I'm sure that you have seen us recommend replacement battery's from OWC...but I think that these still go for around $100...and I'm guessing this is still well above your friends budget.

HTH,:)

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I'll find and post the one I bought for my MBP.

Don't know if I can give it a reccomendation, but I haven't had any problems.

Found it
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JWWVB0/?tag=macforums0e4-20

As you can see, the reviews aren't promising. But, other than ~10% reduced capacity over the stock battery mine has worked fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'm just a wee bit late here but I just stumbled on the post, and if you're still looking Chas, I bought a good quality battery for my late 2007 MBPro in Feb, but a slightly different battery( A1175) via amazon.ca for $52.00 landed, and no PST from a dealer (Hyfai Solutions) in Quebec. Cheap fast shipping via Canada Post.

Almost the full 5800mAH still, but only about six full charges.

You know my email address if you need more details. ;)

The 'batteries unlimited' in Burnaby I used to buy good quality batteries at a decent price seemed to have disappeared at the start of this year. Another fellow was told that they were having trouble getting quality batteries but I understand that Anker is producing some good alternatives for various Mac portables.

Patrick M-R

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.