Win7 via Boot Camp

Reaction score
I cannot get Win7 Home Premium to install via boot camp. Have tried only using three USB slots and no second monitor. No luck. Not much help from Apple. HELP!!!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And you won't get much help here either until you tell us which Mac you have, year and model. And which version of OS X it's running? Do you have a Win 7 Home Premium DVD from Microsoft?

OP
N
Reaction score
Additional Info

In reply to my last post...........using Mavericks 10.9.4; 21.5" iMac with 8G RAM; all current up-dates; late 2012 manufacture date; NEW licensed copy of Win7 Home Premium. If any additional info is needed, please advise. Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, thanks for posting back your specs. Now, tell us exactly how you're trying to install Windows 7 on your iMac. Since your iMac does not have an optical drive, you have to install Windows 7 as a bootable ISO using a USB flash drive. Also, have you printed out the Boot Camp instructions so that you can easily follow them during the install?

OP
N
Reaction score
My Mistake

I forgot to inform about the other items. I use two external HDDs'. One as the Time Machine back up and the other for storage. Lots of pics and video. Anyway, here is the equipment - When I try to install Win7, I un-plug the the 2nd monitor, the storage drive and all other USB items. I do have the optical drive and, of course, leave it connected. For the support software I use a 64G USB drive and place the Win7 cd into the drive. Then activate Boot Camp and follow the on-screen instructions. All seems to go ok - Macintosh HD partitions correctly (at least I see no errors). Just before "Boot Camp" drive is created, I am informed that an adjustment needs to be made to the USB drive. Then white screen, black screen, Mac sign on jingle and..........nothing. Then a black screen and I am informed that boot mgr could not be found. Insert boot able media and press enter. But nothing happens. All the needed software is already in. Then I have to shut down, hold the option key and turn the computer on. Then select Macintosh HD to use the iMac again. I have even tried selecting the Windows cd symbol and pressing any key immediately after. It "locks up" again. If I am not telling you what you need to know, let me know. I have had the iMac for almost a year and have learned a lot but a LOT to go. Thanks for your help and patience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Windows will not install on an external drive - an anti-piracy measure by Microsoft. You need to do the BootCamp install on the iMacs internal hard drive.

OP
N
Reaction score
Internal

I just looked at my message - no where did I say I was trying to install t an external drive. I execute Boot Camp assistant. Then follow the on screen instructions. Doing this MAKES me attempt to install to the internal drive. Next?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
All your mentioning of externals and unplug all other items. Sorry trying to help..... NEXT

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It appears you're attempting to install Windows 7 from an external DVD drive. Since your 2012 iMac does not have an optical drive, you can not install Windows 7 that way. Please read through your Boot Camp instructions. You must install Windows 7 by creating an ISO and install via a USB flash drive.

OP
N
Reaction score
Nowhere have I ever said, or implied, that I am trying to install to an external drive.I have said TWICE that I am trying to use Boot Camp and following the Boot Camp instructions. And in the Boot Camp instructions/guidelines, it plainly states that the installation of Windows MUST be to the internal drive. There is also nothing said about an iso file being the only way Windows can be installed in a late 2012 iMac. So.......are you telling me that this is the case? That I must create and use an iso? Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know who you're responding to, but I never said you were trying to install Windows 7 on an external drive. What I did advise you is this:

Your 2012 iMac has no DVD/CD drive. You can not use an external DVD/CD drive to install Windows 7. Therefore, the only way to be able to install is by creating an ISO of the Windows 7 DVD and install from a USB flash drive. That's why you need to go over the Boot Camp instructions. You'll also need to download Windows 7 drivers from Apple.

I found the Apple instructions for you to follow: Go here and copy them to your machine and then print them out. Let me know how it went. :)

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.