Upgrading a Macbook Pro (2010)

Reaction score
Hello! I have a pretty beat up Macbook Pro 13-inch from mid 2010. The battery is bloated and has expanded so much that the aluminium chassis has been bent out as seen here . So this puts a significant dent in the performance.

I am wondering how much I could improve the performance of this macbook and would it really be worth it? Getting a new battery, more ram and a SSD-drive. The plan is to use this as my work computer, mainly running fotostation, Adobe Bridge, Photoshop and Final Cut X.
The performance right now is just ok, i can handle a couple of raw-files at the same time without the macbook suffering too much, but editing video is much harder on the machine. Would the upgrade be worth it, or would I just be throwing money out the window?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

What are the COMPLETE specs of your MBP? Current memory and so on. A bloated battery which damaging your case, shouldn't affect performance in any way..

So tell us more about what you are actually experiencing. Upgrading the RAM and putting an SSD usually does give old machines a new leash on life..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.