OSX Fails to install - essentials.pkg - Troubleshooting Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
So I have gained an iMac (Autumn 2009 version) from my neighbour. It was having kernel attacks and wouldn't boot. He'd lost the AHT disk and there was no diagnostics built in via the D command on startup. It looked like possible malware and there was no option to upgrade or update as everything had been disabled and wasn't able to be re-enabled.

It was wiped with the intention to re-install and this is where we've hit a snag. It now fails when trying to install (unable to extract files from basesystem/essentials.pkg).

Things I've tried so far, often in combination with formats in between making sure the partition are GUID with correct size and name:
Installing from OSX 10.6.2 disk
Installing from USB OSX 10.9
Recreating the USB with a different method
Repairing the internal HDD
Installing to an external HDD
Reset PRAM
Running MemTest (pass).
Reseating RAM
Trying RAM in different slots
Trying new RAM
Trying new RAM in different slots

I don't have easy access to another mac so I've not been able to create a hdd test disc (only have SeaTools for Windows), but seems a bit odd that it wouldn't install to my external drive (which is healthy) if it was the internal HDD failing.

If it was the CD drive surely it wouldn't fail at the same point when installing with the USB stick (healthy)

Every single time it fails at the same point.

Logic board and HDD were both replaced in 2010.

Any ideas? \o/

Reaction score
Try installing a basic linux os see if that will install. Hopefully if the problem there it a hardware issue.

OP
A
Reaction score
Just having a little trouble making a bootable USB for Mac on Windows! It has booted into my UBCD so the cd drive must be okay!

Last edited:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It fails at that very same package with both the 10.6.2 DVD and the 10.9 Flash drive?

OP
A
Reaction score
Yup that's right! Even if I use different RAM or another HDD

OP
A
Reaction score
Update:

So I've actually managed to get Ubuntu installed - updating this from the Mac right now! I booted into my 10.9 OSX USB (which no longer allows me to try install - says its been tampered with) - accessed the disk utility, plugged in another USB with the Ubuntu ISO, burnt this to my last DVD and it installed from the DVD after a reboot.

This leads me to believe that the cd drive isn't a problem, and I've managed fine to install an OS so the HDD seems happy enough. As for the RAM, as I say it manages to last and I've managed to install an OS so I'm still feeling its all a little inconclusive.

I've ordered a new 10.6 disk from the Apple store, should arrive Wednesday, we shall see what happens!

I'd like to try get the Mac through some hardware tests now that I can boot into an OS - I've already run Memtest and I'll try a harddrive one too - any suggestions for further hardware test runs that will work on Linux greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
To update and obtain downloads, Snow Leopard was required to be version OS X.6.8.

Reaction score
I had a similar problem. Finally took the MacBook to a Genius Bar and he simply flashed on the new OSx version. Has been updating fine since.

OP
A
Reaction score
Further Update:

What a rollercoaster of a ride this has been, each time I see the light I'm thrown back into darkness. The error codes are ambiguous and I can safely tell you that none of the Apple Certification Course touches troubleshooting on this level.

Here is an update:

Rang Apple, they said I'd tried everything the customer service rep could think of, I asked about imaging - told me to go to an Apple store. Great - but I'm moving to somewhere where there isn't one anywhere near by and your next appointment is after my moving date. He said I could try one of their recognised service centers - well... the first guy I spoke to couldn't get his head around imaging but then said sure they can do it. Rang back after moving and someone else answered the phone, I had to explain what imaging was, then was told they couldn't do it. VERY FRUSTRATING.

So I built a mac using my PC in VMware using my Snow Leopard disk, imaged it onto the iMac - it booted! Joy! But then it wouldn't update unless it was in Safe Mode.

I got it all the way to 10.6.6 and then it refused to update 10.6.7...

I really need to try get an Apple Hardware Disk to work on this machine (there is no recovery partition due to imaging, and its pre-2010 so can't use online diagnostics)

There has to be a solution or at least an idea of what part on this iMac is failing.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated! This throw-away culture is so frustrating, I need to at least know why it will never work! Not knowing why it won't work is worse than it never being able to work.

** I did download an AHT disk to burn to CD - it did not work. I will try again today.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you did not have OS X.6.8 how did the Mavericks USB thumb drive come to be? Think your problem is the Snow Leopard DVD may be a silver/grey disc, which is extremely model specific. And downloadable versions of AHT are too old - only good for up to G5 machines.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14291

Reaction score
Wow really!!!

No one was smart enough to read i take it.

1. He is trying to create a snow leopard disk on windows you can't do this or you trash the image.

2. The model of machine of which he has requires 10.6.8 or higher but a commercial image won't work because the commercial image doesn't have the drivers for the on board systems in that model.

go to Apple

go to the store order a copy of snow leopard 19.99 in the store

problem solved

and stop trying to pirate because the o.s contains a file called don't steal mac os x.plist for a reason

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you both for your replies.

If you had read my thread thoroughly I had actually already purchased a disk from the Apple Store, it doesn't come with the AHT. Therefore my virtual machine OS version was legal. I was simply carrying out the work that Apple had refused to do.

I finally found the issue with the iMac, for those who are interested.

I found a guide to re-add a .diagnostics folder using a direct link to AHT downloads from the Apple website. Using this I was able to run the AHT and discover that the processor has failed. This is the second logic board to fail in four years.

Thanks for the previous posters for help, this thread can now be closed.

Also, I am a she, not a he.

Reaction score
Awesome to here sorry about the processor death but at least you have the right disk now but there might be a good thing if its a older iMac the processor is replaceable

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This thread is years old. Closing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.