Broadband conection shared with an Airport Extreme - Networking isn't my strong point

G

Gav_rdfc

Hi,

New to the forum and relativly new to mac's. Recently got broadband, (only just become avaliable due to living in the middle of nowhere!) and am trying to share it bettween 2 mac's running tiger and a windows xp machine using a Dlink 300t DSL modem and an airport extrem base station. I read that i should set the modem to assign IP addresses using dhcp and should untick the box that says distribute IP addresses on the airport base station. All works fine with just one computer on but if i try and connect 2 computers to the airport network the internet conection drops and it comes up with IP conflicts. I have had a fiddle but to no avail so wondered if anyone had any suggestions. Hopefully it's a simple on e and due to my lack of mac and networking knowledge.

Thanks

Gavin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
I assume you're from the UK? I'm not sure of the authentication methods of DSL outside of the states but PPPoE is the method here. Assuming that is you case as well,...

Use a Mac and Airport Admin Utility. Under the Internet tab select the PPPoE option and enter appropriate information provided by your ISP. Use the distribute IP's feature in the network tab. Setup network security based on what you are comfortable with. I use MAC address filtering in the Access Control tab.

OP
G

Gav_rdfc

Yes i'm from the Uk. So using that method how should the modem be set up?

Gavin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The modem will plug into the ethernet port on the Airport. Configuring the Airport for PPPoE should be all you really need to do. This can all be confirmed by calling your ISP.

Reaction score
That doesn't sound right. You need a router in there somewhere...... plugging an ADSL modem into a wireless access point won't work. You need to buy either an adsl modem/router and plug the airport into that, or buy a wireless modem/router and get rid of the airport.

I'd suggest buying either of these:

Netgear DG834 (wired version)
Netgear DG834G (wireless version)

These have built in ADSL modems, which connect to the internet, but also have a router built in, to enable them to route traffic (internal and internet) to the correct PCs. Using one of these will allow you to either connection your machines up via ethernet cable, or wirelessly if you buy the wireless version, or wirelessly by connecting the airport to the 4 port switch in the back of either of the Netgears.

As for DHCP, don't worry about that, the router should take care of that. Just set everything to use DHCP.

Plus, both those Netgears have hardware firewalls. Mac or not, you still want one of these.

The wired version will set you back approx £50, the wireless one about £70

Enjoy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Airports are routers

Reaction score
I've just looked at the specs on the Apple site and Airport Extreme does have what it suggests is a port that you can connect the modem to, which actually should do the job, so apologies :) If this is the kit you have then maybe it should work. If this is the case it's more than likely your IP settings.

OP
G

Gav_rdfc

So should i have the dhcp server on the modem enabled or disabled? and i assume the airport should be the opposite. The way i vaguely understand it is that the dhcp should be disabled on the modem so it passes 1 ip address to the airport which then divides it bettween my machines. is this correct?

Thanks

OP
G

Gav_rdfc

got totally fed up with it tonight so poped into town and got myself a D-Link DSL-G604T wireless router, and it worked straight away. Both mac's and the pc are now online. Only disadvanatages are no 56k modem, but i don't think i'll be goin back anyway, and no wireless printing but i saw a wireless printing hub in the same shop so might head down that route. I'll see how i feel in a few weeks once this router has proved it's fine.

Thanks for all your help.

Gavin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the modem has an integrated router function built in, just configure that to be a bridged device.

Reaction score
As I said, go for an all in one :) They always work a treat.

Glad it's working, which is all it should do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
you could have got the 300T to work by turning off the DHCP its a common problem with the APE

OP
J

JimmyHat

Use your airport express as a print server (if you've still got it). Use airport admin utility to set the airport express to client mode, and it'll do print serving and airtunes (useful if you have a main stereo that's not hooked up to your computers).

I use my Airport Express instead of my D-Link router, as I only have wireless clients. I can have several wireless clients running at one time, without the need for a router.

OP
G

Gav_rdfc

Tried turning off DHCP on the modem and still no joy. I have been told that it's due to the firmware version of the airport extreme by someone else with the same set up, but i needed to get the internet working to do my work so couldn't afford to mess about any more, so the buy an all in one option and send the modem and airport back was the quickest and cheapest option. Thanks for your help though. Much appreciated.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.