Buying advice - PowerPC or Intel iMac

Reaction score
I tried searching the forum for this question, which I'm sure has already been addressed, but I was unable to find it. So I apoligize in advance if this has already been discussed.

I need to buy a new iMac for the household. However, I am uncertain whether or not I should save money by buying the PowerPC version or just upgrade to the intel version. I personally own an iMac G5, which is plenty fast. This computer's purpose will be basic; chatting, surfing the internet, word processing, music, light photo editing and organizing, etc. There will be no Photoshop, Final Cut, or anything processor intensive of that nature. The budget runs up to around $1400 or so.

What's your take? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
In my own personal opinion it depends on how long you want to keep the system. The intel iMac is going to be supported for longer then the power pc version, however power pc version is cheaper.. if you are the kind of person who intends on keeping this computer for 2 years and no matter how it is doing, upgrade.. then I would recomend the power pc version.. IF you are the kind of person who uses a computer until it is broken and can not be repaired trying to squeeze every last second out of it, then I would go intel, because the software in the future after the univeral binary programs are starting to only make intel versons will continue to run on the intel version but not on the ppc version.

so my opion in short : if keeping the computer for 2-3 years go ppc
if keeping the computer until it can no longer be repaired trying to take every second out of it.. go intel for software purposes.

Reaction score
if you're doing basic stuff, the ppc will suffice. if you're doing basic stuff, the intel will be a great choice.

you may save yourself a few hundred, but in the end, you won't save yourself from agony and regret. Doesn't make sense to invest in older technology at this point, and I'm kind of a basic guy too. I love my intelimac

OP
djlee12
Reaction score
I'm starting to lean towards a 17" Intel iMac. But if someone has any reason why I should think otherwise, please speak up. I'd love to hear your opininos.

Thanks in advance.

OP
djlee12
Reaction score
After looking on the Apple site and several 3rd Party Vendors, the Intel version isn't really any more expensive anyway, except when you start looking at the 20" version, which is much bigger than I need anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Thought of another reason to go intel :) If you go intel the performace per what is more therefore it will actually save you money (not much) over time to go intel because doing the same things on the computer will use less energy.

B

Badger

One thing to consider is that the Intel Macs will not run classic apps. If you have classic apps that you need to use you'll want to go with the G5 iMac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.