New Graphics Card for Mac Pro 4.1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core i5 4288U 2.6 Ghz, 8GB DDR3 1600 Mhz, Intel Iris 5100, 512GB PCIe SSD
Hello guys,

I have a Mac Pro 4.1:

Intel Xeon Dual CPU E5520 2.26 Ghz (8 core)
6GB DDR3 1066 Mhz ECC Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512MB
Mac OS X 10.9.3

I want to buy a new Graphics Card because the GT 120 is a bit too weak for me. But the problem is im really lost: I have no idea about power usage things and some people said i have to buy a cable so the graphic card gets more power and all that? I dont really get that. What I also dont get is: The GTX 650 has 2 of these things idk how they are called you plug a cable to it and that goes to the adapter, the GT 640 i am looking for only has 1 and so does my GT 120. Please help me :(

I was looking to buy one of these 2 Graphic Cards:

ASUS GTX 650 DC - Grafikkarten - PC-Komponenten - STEG computer & electronics

EVGA GT 640 SC - Grafikkarten - PC-Komponenten - STEG computer & electronics

And also will OS X support the graphic cards?

Reaction score
i can help you!!!

As of mac os x lion and mountain lion and maverick you don't have to flash a graphics card on the mac pro you can use the card as is however it will not show a apple logo on boot because the card doesn't have a efi firmware on the graphics card.

now for the power issues the cable you are referring to is the mac pro mini pcie to pcie power cable the larger the graphics card the wore of these cables you have to have the easy part the cable will only run you a few dollars on amazon just search apple mac pro graphics power cable it will help now for a graphics card these are the things you need to understand.

Unsupported non mac cards (using a pc card on a mac)

No boot apple logo on screen goes directly to mac os 10.7 10.8 10.9 desktop or logon screen.

10.7 (dvd player doesn't work) (requires core support)

supported cards.

everything is plug and play and will make you pay in fact a top of the line nvidia for that model of mac pro will run you $1,599 on apple.com

i recommend amazon again but make sure the card says mac pro and ale sure its a real card not a pc flashed one

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core i5 4288U 2.6 Ghz, 8GB DDR3 1600 Mhz, Intel Iris 5100, 512GB PCIe SSD
hello is this the pcie cable you are speaking of?

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B004F7RU6G/

And im pretty sure im gonna buy one of these 2 here

ASUS GTX 650 DC - Grafikkarten - PC-Komponenten - STEG computer & electronics

Gainward Nvidia GeForce GTX650 - brack.ch

which one is better doe? And people said the GTX650s should run out of the box and the 600 series is supported on Mac OSX.

And about this slot thing, both of these cards use 2 slots so what does that mean? i think my gt 120 is only 1 slot

reply fast pls i have to get the answer in 1.5 hours

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.