Is the Intel Iris Graphics good enough?....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro: Early 2011; 2.3GHz; 8GB RAM; version 10.9.4 OS X
Hello,

Would the Intel Iris in the newest 13" macbooks be able acceptable for primarily photo editing?

Between a 21" iMac and a 13" Macbook Pro, I really would prefer the graphics card from the iMAC's, but I do so much traveling that a Macbook seems to be my best option. I do not want to spend the extra whooping amount of money on the 15".

The only graphics card available in the 13" is the Intel Iris Graphics. I do a lot of amateur photo shooting and editing from my DSLR cameras, I use photoshop & lightroom on my current computer. I also plan on creating some slide shows. I will not do much video editing. I do not play any games either.

I plan on having the 2.8GHZ i5 processor and 16GB RAM in this laptop.

Any Thoughts?

Philip

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're referring to the 13" rMBP with the Intel Iris Graphics. That particular GPU outperforms the HD 5000 and should suffice for photo editing and even mild gaming. You'll be fine.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro: Early 2011; 2.3GHz; 8GB RAM; version 10.9.4 OS X
Thanks! It's been a tough choice deciding which Mac product will be best for me.

C

chas_m

Bear in mind that Iris graphics is one thing, and Iris Pro is another. Both are very acceptable for what you're doing (far better than what I've got!), just that some models of MBP have Iris Pro which is obviously a step up from Iris.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.