Libre Office make default

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I am getting used to my mac (life after windows). I have installed Libre office and want to make it default programme for documents, spreadsheets etc. The apple store showed me how to change defaults on documents. But I cannot get it to work. Problem seems to be that Libre has installed as a "device" rather than an app. and when I go to change default it is not an available option to select. Can anyone advise how to fix this.

Thanks Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If Libre is the only office suite installed, it will be the default. Are you also using something else?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you bought a new Mac, it probably has the Apple iWork apps pre-installed (free from Apple for owners of a new Mac). That would make Pages, Numbers, and Keynote the default apps. LibreOffice apps would have to be specifically designated to be the default.

What we don't understand is you state that LibreOffice was installed as a device rather than an app. What makes you think so? What are you seeing? And which app is opening up when you click on your documents?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Do you mean LibreOffice is grayed out when you try to choose it as the default application? If so, when the window appears to choose a new application change the drop down menu first. Change the enable drop down menu from recommended applications to the other setting (I think "all applications). Then choose the new application.

OP
S
Reaction score
reply to questions

Thanks Guys.

Trying to answer the responses as follows, yes it is a new Mac with i works installed so pages etc are default. I found how to change default but Libre is not available even after clicking all applications.

Libre is installed on the machine and works fine when I open it then open a document from it.

It is not however listed as an App and is shown on the desk top as a drive, the same as I get if I plug in a USB memory stick or camera SD card.

To use it I have to click on the device then a window to open the application appears which I click on and Libre opens. I tried doing this before trying to make it default but even when open it didnt appear in the "All apps" list.

Hope this makes sense.

Steve

C

chas_m

Okay, got it. The problem is that you haven't actually installed Libre Office yet. You're supposed to drag the Libre Office icon (NOT the disk image on your desktop) from the disk image to your Applications folder (as seen below), then eject the disk image and the dmg file it came from. This is SOP for a lot of third-party apps btw.

Once Libre Office is in your Applications folder, it will be available as an option for your documents.

Installation-LibO4-offenes-dmg.png

OP
S
Reaction score
Problem solved

Thanks Chas and all other responder's.

Problem now solved and my knowledge has increased, so should know what to do with future app's.

I am slowly getting used to Apple way of doing things and it is certainly a better experience than windows.

Regards Steve :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Common mistake made by new users of a Mac and OS X. Enjoy your new Mac and visit us often. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.