USB Hardware and Mavericks

Reaction score
Hi,
Just plugged in a Saitek Pro Flight Controller into a usb hub. Leds on the controller light up but I can't locate the unit in devices. I'm probably not looking in the correct place as I'm still new to Macs. The unit is said to not require software or drivers, so my question is how do I configure the numerous switches on the unit, & where is it in the system?

Any thoughts on the subject will be appreciated. Thanks for looking.
Machine is an early '09 iMac 3.06 Ghz with 4Gb ram.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you tried plugging the flight controller direct without the hub? Also, I'm not certain you're statement that it doesn't need software or drivers is correct. Is the flight controller Mac compatible? What does the manufacturer say? Generally flight controllers, like gaming controllers need special software and/or drivers to setup the various buttons and controls.

OP
R
Reaction score
Manufacturer states it's both PC & Mac compatible. They provide software and drivers for Windows. I'm aware the Mac OS doesn't require software or drivers. Haven't tried plugging in directly, but it is working fine with the hub. Any idea where to look for it's presence in my system?

C

chas_m

Generally speaking, devices like this only "show up" in games that can support it, not as a general device. Sort of like how the DVD drive in your iMac doesn't show up until you stick a CD/DVD in there.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I haven't installed software for it yet but will do so shortly and will post back the result.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Haven't tried plugging in directly, but it is working fine with the hub. Any idea where to look for it's presence in my system?

How do you know it's working fine with the hub if you haven't installed your Flight Simulator program? However, member chas_m may be correct about it not showing up until the Simulator is up and running. BTW, I went to the manufacturer's site and really didn't see much if anything about it how it works with OS X. Anyway, let us know.

OP
R
Reaction score
chscag, thanks for the reply...
I was given the Saitek controller and intend to purchase X-plane 10 as my sim program. Their tech support forum has many references to the controller working with OS X. I've plugged it into my usb hub, ran a demo program and the controller appears to work fine. Only issue at the moment is assigning throttle control to a lever on the quad unit. The suggestion was to assign the left most lever. Haven't tried it yet as there is a great deal to read.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great, thanks for clarifying. Their forums of course would be the best place for information. And by the way, X Plane is a great program. I haven't used it but I'm an old MS Flight Simulator guy... but am not going to install Windows on this beautiful iMac just to use FS again. ;)

OP
R
Reaction score
I will run the program on my Mac. I've installed Vmware Fusion in order to have a Win XP window. Necessary because I still use Quark Express 5.0 & Photoshop CS2.The expense (& learning curve) of replacing perfectly good software doesn't appeal to me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.