MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" i7 2.6Ghz 16Gb Vengeance(Soon) 1Tb SSD Nvidia GT 650M
Ok i could just be stupid to be honest but really needs help i brought my Macbook off someone 2 weeks ago and after looking up the serial number i get told it has a NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M.
But when i go into my about this mac it tells me i only have a Intel HD Graphics 4000
Am i missing something here?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Go to:

- Apple Menu
- About this Mac
- More Info
- System Report

Then on this page…click on the "Graphics/Displays" section for the graphics hardware info.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Click on the Apple in the upper left corner of your top menu. Select about this Mac. Then select "More Info". When that opens, select "System Report". Then scroll on down to "Graphics - Displays". Tell us what it says.

It should show two graphic controllers: The nVidia and the Intel HD

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" i7 2.6Ghz 16Gb Vengeance(Soon) 1Tb SSD Nvidia GT 650M
Thanks so much :) How come it don't show up in about this mac as the 650M is better than HD 4000? Can it be changed?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
How come it don't show up in about this mac as the 650M is better than HD 4000?

Just the way it is.:)

Kind of like asking why does a dog have spots??…just the way it is.;)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks so much :) How come it don't show up in about this mac as the 650M is better than HD 4000? Can it be changed?

Because the Intel HD is the primary graphics controller and is used by default to save battery. You can with a third party application make the nVidia the primary graphics controller.

Download the free gfxCardStatus from here.

C

chas_m

What's missing from the explanations provided is that this really isn't something you need to mess with, do anything about, etc.

The system is set up to *automatically* switch to the higher-end video card if you are running something that requires it (like a high-end game, or Photoshop, etc). As mentioned, it uses the lower-resolution card by default because even that is way overkill for what you're doing most of the time (if you're a typical user that is).

If you force a permanent switch to the higher-end card, your battery life is going to drop like a rock. So it's your call on what to do, but personally unless you have a better reason than any I can come up with, just let the automatic thing do its thing automatically.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.