How to get email addresses from contacts to mail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nube-MacPro Retina 13" i5-2.6GHz OS 10.10.3,
The solution here has to be easier than I see on the net but I cannot find it. So I'll ask the experts… I have just entered a new group of 12 to my contact list and I want to send them all an email. How do I get just a group of email addressees from contacts to the bcc field of an email

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
What I'm about to suggest Assumes you are using either Address Book or Contacts and the Mac Mail program. From your post it sounds like you may have already completed steps 1 and 2.

1. Enter the e-mail information for those you would like to contact.
2. Create a group with those contacts, say for example, Classic Car Club. I use Smart Groups since they update themselves every time someone with the right criteria is added to your contacts.
3. Launch Mail and compose the message as usual then add the name of the group you created in Contacts to the appropriate message field. In your case BCC

C

chas_m

Slydude is right. When composing a new mail to this "group" of people, I just enter the name of the group (not any email address) and boom, all the email addresses of the group are included (there is an option in Mail to show the group as separate email addresses if you wish, or just keep it as the group name).

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For others who may read this in the future be aware of one limitation when sending mail to groups. In order to combat spammers some ISPs limit how many people you can send the same e-mail to at one time. I think the limit I've seen is 50.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nube-MacPro Retina 13" i5-2.6GHz OS 10.10.3,
I knew I could count on you guys - your the best - no joking!!! I was amazed to see what happened when I put the group name in - all the emails suddenly appeared… Wow. Their gone & I even got some replies. Ya gotta love the Mac! Thanks Slydude. We just returned from a 30 day cruise to Greenland, Iceland & Holland etc and I now have to upload to a cloud all the videos I took at the bar of us singing EVERY night. Chas_m: I'm printing off your essay to have it close all the time - thanks again… Fred

C

chas_m

Fred: SO ENVIOUS of your cruise!! I've been to Iceland a couple of times and would love to go back, plus Holland and so forth. Nice!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fred: SO ENVIOUS of your cruise!! I've been to Iceland a couple of times and would love to go back, plus Holland and so forth. Nice!

Ditto the envious part. Haven't been to Iceland or Holland. Sounds great.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To chas_m:

Iceland has more active volcanoes than Hawaii, but I'll still take Hawaii. I had the pleasure of living and working there for 8 years in my younger days. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.