Help to recover lost data: Wife's recipes

Reaction score
I recently did an erase and install with an apple tech which solved a big problem.Now I'm trying to find all my wifes recipes that were in her Macgournet Its prob Simple but not for this guy please help thanks bob

Last edited by a moderator:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Posting with a title of "Help Please" will not get you many responses.... I edited your title.

As far as recovering your wife's recipes, unless you made a backup prior to the erase and reinstall of the operating system, the recipes are gone for good. The reinstall of the operating system overwrote what was on the hard drive. Recovering data that has been overwritten is very difficult and can only be done by recovery experts. Which means it will be very expensive and may not even be successful.

Hopefully your wife will understand.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
There is a program called Data Rescue 3 which might help though I don't hold out much hope. There is a demo available that could scan the drive to see if it finds anything. Recovery requires purchasing the full program $100.00 unless you find a deal as part of a bundle.

One note about this type of software: Just because it finds a file doesn't necessarily mean that the recovered file will be functional.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ahh Bob no more cookies for you my boy! Did you have a backup to an external drive using Time Machine or cloning software by chance?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Ahh Bob no more cookies for you my boy! Did you have a backup to an external drive using Time Machine or cloning software by chance?

Well, if the OP does not have some type of backup, then I would be interested why the so-called 'Apple Tech' did not suggest doing 'something' before the OS was reinstalled? Dave :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Yes Guys I have a wd my passport for mack,and the Apple tech was top shelf.I have recovered everything but the mac gourmet,the tech was sharing my screen so he talk me through the process but when we switched over to my wifes I was driving blind.If I can't find it with the help from you experts I'll get the tech on the line! Thanks gang

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Besides not giving your post an appropriate title, you neglected to tell us that the Apple tech talked you through making a backup. We can only go by what information that you supply to us in order for us to try to help.... ;)

As for your wife's recipes, no telling where they are specifically since we do not know where they were saved to begin with or what program was used. However, as a start look in your Documents folder that you recovered. If she used a special recipe program (one that categorized recipes), then look for the program name and where it stores files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes Guys I have a wd my passport for mack,and the Apple tech was top shelf.I have recovered everything but the mac gourmet,the tech was sharing my screen so he talk me through the process but when we switched over to my wifes I was driving blind.If I can't find it with the help from you experts I'll get the tech on the line! Thanks gang

Well, if you were using Time Machine on your WD external HD, then the recipe files should be there? Another option is whether there might be an online backup? We use Paprika for recipes on our iPads - there is a Wi-Fi sync option w/ cloud storage - I'm not familiar w/ MacGourmet but you might want to see if that is a feature? Dave :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
We used to use MacGourmet but switched to Paprika. Can't say enough good about Paprika.
Don't remember where the files were stored with MacGourmet, but almost certain there was no cloud sync.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Bob I'm not sure which version of MacGourmet you are using but according to the developers own website if you were using MacGourmet3 they are in a file named MacGourmet3Database.mgdatabase, and it’s located in ~/Documents.
Try searching for just mgdatabase.:)

You mentioned you had a Time Machine Backup so assuming this file was in it's default folder (Documents) you could just enter Time Machine once you have the Documents folder open and go back until you see that file, select it then click Restore. It should then be back in your current Documents folder.

Last edited:
OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks Guys I had to go to apple and get a senior to help me we did a complete erase and install to my iMac a second time and it is back to perfect!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Guys I had to go to apple and get a senior to help me we did a complete erase and install to my iMac a second time and it is back to perfect!

GREAT Bobmmor! Might want to explore whether that program gives you another backup option (online or not?) - good luck! Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Mail me some of those cookies!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.