Please help me decide on a Macbook!

Reaction score
Alright. So, from what I understand, the only difference between the latest Air and Pro models is that the latter is a bit heavier, has more storage, and costs significantly more. Which begs the question…

Are there any significant differences between the Macbook Air & Macbook Pro?

I still have my first laptop – an Acer that runs Windows XP and freezes up whenever moved lightly – which would explain why I haven’t touched in months.

I’m in my senior year of high school and would really like to upgrade to a new laptop now to give myself time to become accustomed to it before attending college. In case anyone is wondering, I’m leaning towards the Macbook because I’m interested in studying animation, and have learned that they’re more flexible when it comes to animation than other laptops. When I visited an institution that specializes in this field, I realized that all of the computer labs were equipped with iMacs.

I’ve done my research, and compared the latest models, but since these things are so pricy, I’m trying to be as cautious as possible so I don’t buy something I later regret.

The 13-inch screen sounds ideal, and the ones with Retina-display seem enticing, but does it really make such a difference? A couple of people commented that the upgraded screen slows down the system, so I’m not sure what to make of this.

I would mainly be using it to browse the internet, load applications to work on my class assignments, and access software like FireAlpaca and SAI. But other than that, I don’t see any reason why I would be using too much RAM.
I miiiight use it for gaming, specifically a N64 Emulator, but that would be once I finally have a break in my schedule.

I’ve had some experience with these products, so I know I won’t walk blindfolded into the entire process, but I know I would feel a lot more confident in my final purchase once I receive some help from you guys.

One last thing: would you recommend I buy it from an Apple Retail Store, or from and electronics store like Best Buy? One of my friends told me that Apple Retail offers discounts for students, but I assume other stores do the same as well.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'll leave specifics to others since I haven't been following the differences in the new machines to closely lately. I will say the following though:

1. The 13" screens are nice for portability but don't be surprised if you decide to add an external monitor shortly thereafter for extra screen real estate. The small screens aren't bad it's just awful convenient to have things like tool palates for graphics programs on the small screen and the main document on the larger one.

2. If you know where you will be attending school they may have some recommendations about which Macs students are finding most helpful.

Note: I deleted the other crossposted thread. That way all responses to this question will be in one place.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
1337y I think it's fair to say the general rule still holds good. Buy the biggest, fastest most flexible machine you can afford or you will regret it eventually. There is no such thing as too much memory or a processor that is too fast. I would add that spending a little of the price on a fast external drive for a full backup is also something you will never regret.

OP
Reaction score
Thanks for that, I appreciate it!

And I'm definitely taking your advice into consideration - it seems I'm not as prepared as I originally thought, hah.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Just thought I'd add, especially for someone still in school and when money's usually really tight - regardless of which Mac model you decide on - don't forget to check out Apple's Refurbished Site section where you can save quite a few dollars on your purchase. Just as good as new and the same Apple warranty applies. And maybe even better than "new"... ;)

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Just thought I'd add, especially for someone still in school and when money's usually really tight - regardless of which Mac model you decide on - don't forget to check out Apple's Refurbished Site section where you can save quite a few dollars on your purchase. Just as good as new and the same Apple warranty applies. And maybe even better than "new"... ;)

Great suggestion pm-r I wish we had one in Indonesia where I am.;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
From what I'm seeing. The Apple Indonesia store doesn't have a refurbished section. Which I think is what Rod Sprague was wishing/hoping for.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Yeah, unfortunately that seems to be the case and why I added the "did". But maybe they will ship from their NA site??? I don't know, but maybe worth while checking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2020 Ventura 13.6 M1 chip 251GB; iPhone SE 3rd gen 128GB; iPad Air2, 64GB
Just an opinion here - you are going to be carrying the laptop around a great deal; the Air is lighter, and that is going to make a difference. I find the Air to be more comfortable for long usage, as the edges near the track pad are thinner. As you well know, tech changes rapidly, so buy only as much as you can comfortably afford, b/c in 2 years you're going to be wanting a new one.

OP
Reaction score
I just read everyone's comments; your suggestions have all helped me by leaps and bounds! I definitely feel a lot more confident in making my final purchase.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.