Word 2011 - Cell Shading Covers Vertically-Aligned Text

Reaction score
I have a table with 4 groups of merged cells in the left-most column, to act as a category "bracket" for the data to their right. It's a narrow column, so the text is aligned vertically. I want these 4 groups of merged cells to each have their own color cell shading. However, when I select a shade color, the text is covered up by the cell shading instead of showing through. Never had this problem before that I can remember. When I shade cells with horizontally-aligned text, the text is visible in front of the cell shading, even if the cells are merged.

What gives?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can't duplicate that here. Something else must be going on, however, I rarely if ever use that function so I may be out in left field. If you receive no further answers, you might want to post your question to the Microsoft Mac Office forum for Word. LINK

OP
usagora
Reaction score
I can't duplicate that here. Something else must be going on, however, I rarely if ever use that function so I may be out in left field. If you receive no further answers, you might want to post your question to the Microsoft Mac Office forum for Word. LINK

Thanks. I'll post this there as well. Apparently the issue is the fact that the cells are merged. No idea why it should matter...guessing it's a bug. Here's a screen recording to show the issue (I made the cells all large for clarity, unlike the actual table I described).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqc4Uc4gle4

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah, that is weird. If it doesn't happen with the color shading of cells that are not merged, it likely is a bug. Or, as Microsoft would put it: Not a bug, it's a feature. Anyway, Office for the Mac 2014 should be released around October if the MS rumors are true. There are several bugs with the 2011 version that need fixing - especially with Outlook. Let me know what you find out if you post to the MS Mac Office forums.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.