Large DVD Movie Storage Devices

Reaction score
I have about 4000 DVD Movies, and would like to put them on a Hard Drive array of some sort, I would want to be able to play them, so it would need a library manager software as well - any suggestions what I should buy - needs to be MAC Compatible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Well, I'm assuming that many if not most of these are commercial DVDs w/ copyright encryption - if so, please read HERE - Dave :)

OP
T
Reaction score
No encryption that I can see, I just want to copy them to a hard disc array for easy transport, I have been collecting them over 12 years and if I am not mistaken this falls under the Fair use act (?) that allows me to preserve what I have purchased.

So that said, can anyone advise what sort of disc array I am going to need??

C

chas_m

If you live in the US, you are mistaken. There is no "fair use" copying of an entire commercial DVD allowed in the US, and thus this forum (which follows US law) can't advise you on that. The laws are different in most other countries (like Canada, where I live -- have I mentioned its the true north strong and free?), but the forum obeys US law. Hopefully the US will get its act together copyright-and-consumer-wise one of these days.

I can say, however, that what you are looking for (a networked drive that serves media files) is called an NAS unit (stands for Network-Attached Storage). That should help you find the hardware part, anyway.

OP
T
Reaction score
If you live in the US, you are mistaken. There is no "fair use" copying of an entire commercial DVD allowed in the US, and thus this forum (which follows US law) can't advise you on that. The laws are different in most other countries (like Canada, where I live -- have I mentioned its the true north strong and free?), but the forum obeys US law. Hopefully the US will get its act together copyright-and-consumer-wise one of these days.

I can say, however, that what you are looking for (a networked drive that serves media files) is called an NAS unit (stands for Network-Attached Storage). That should help you find the hardware part, anyway.

Thanx for the reply, I'll look up NAS,,,,,,,,,appreciate it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.