Macbook Pro Retina 13" battery drain & high fan noise.

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post here and i'm really looking forward to help me.

I have a Macbook Pro Retina 13" Early 2013 Running OS X 10.9.4 (13E28). The battery life was never an issue with me but i've been experiencing drastic battery drain on my laptop. It goes from 100% - 20% in 1.5 hours average. I downloaded all the battery apps on the Mac App Store to check my battery health and they all said it was normal and the number of cycles are 430, i know they're almost near half but does this affect the battery life in anyway? I really need help with this problem because it's driving me cray i can't do anything without making sure i'm next to a power outlet. The other thing is overheat, i sometimes find the laptop very very hot that i can't put it on my lap and the fans are always high until i stop doing heavy tasks on the computer. I really need your help guys, hoping that restoring isn't the solution. Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First thing I'll mention to you is that you do not own a "laptop", you own an Apple notebook computer - MacBook Pro. Keep it off your lap.

It does sound like you're going through a charge - recharge battery cycle much faster than normal. However, without us knowing exactly how you use your machine, the battery drain could be normal. Are you a heavy gamer? Doing a lot of video encoding? and so forth.

You might want to take it on to Apple and have them check it out. There is no cost for diagnostics at an Apple Store genius bar. If they determine your battery is defective, they might replace it for you at no cost.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" macbook pro 6.1, 2.66 GHz Intel i7 8GB DDR3
Did you try an an SMC reset? Sometimes that fixes problems like this, assuming you aren't doing resource intensive activities like music or video editing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.