Importance of Processor Speed

Reaction score
Lately, I've been getting more into gaming. I know that Macs aren't good for gaming, and Mac laptops are even worse. Regardless, what seems to be holding me back is my processor speed (2.3Ghz). If a game requires that I have 2.4GHz does that mean I can't play it, or does the fact that I have an Intel Core i7 factor in at all? I was looking to play 7 Days to Die. Here are my complete specs:

2.3GHz Intel Core i7
8GB Memory 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB

Also, on a sidenote, I noticed my laptop would heat up when I would play Dota 2. I downloaded a stat tracking app, and during gameplay my Mac would get as hot as 90 degrees Celsius! Changing resolution, render quality, turning off anti aliasing, etc. did nothing to bring the temperature down. Could vents/heat sinks need cleaning or something? Is the Mac built to handle that intensity or am I slowly melting it? (I'm a film major and will soon be editing a lot of HD footage on it and I don't want it to crap out doing that)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.