Internet speeds not what I am paying for, need help?

Reaction score
My iMac OSX 10.9.4/2 Ghz Core 2 Duo/4 gb 667 MHz/ DDR 2 SDRAM. Comcast IPS, paying for 3 gigs, getting less than one third that on speed test, Had modem connected through wireless g router, told I needed N Router, connected directly from modem to computer with ethernet cabe, no change, traded in old modem, got new cisc modem still same. What do I do now? Tech came out told me I was getting the speed I paid for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
Run speed test and then query Comcast on how they believe the stats show you are getting the speed you paid for. There is a misunderstanding on either you or their part on the speed you have paid for. I do not have comcast, but with cable I am guaranteed 15 mbps down and 2 mbps up and consistently get approximately those speeds.

You should take the router out of the picture by connecting your computer to the modem directly by ethernet cable. However, if your computer connects to the router via ethernet cable and the router is wired to the modem there should not be much difference IF there are not other devices accessing the internet through the router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
There are two rules for Netwrok Speed:-

Rule One. You never get what you pay for ~ old equipment, copper cable (if cables used) etc etc etc.

Rule Two. The fault never lay with your ISP.

OP
G
Reaction score
I meant 3 mbps, the speed test shows less than i mbps on upload and download, sometimes it just stops checking, I have run speed tests wired direct to modem and through router, the tech told me I had the wrong router, G, I need a N. but the router should not make any difference when I do the speed test. I pay for 3 mbps and I get less than 1, like .90 or less. Any other ideas??

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you are not connecting over a WiFi connection to your router, then G, N, A, B, and all that don't matter. If your router is very old and you are hard connecting, then you might experience some slow down there.

However, if you've connected the cable modem directly to your computer and you are not getting close to 3 MBps, then you should complain, often and hard.

Also, make sure you use XFINITY Speed Test to test the speed. If their speed test doesn't show you downloading at a decent rate, complain again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.