Modifier keys with alternate layout

Reaction score
Hey all!

I'm new to Macs, so, figuring everything out.

I use an alternate keyboard layout (dvorak). When using modifier keys, I get random behaviour in different apps. Some apps will use the new layout correctly (such as iTerm). However, others, like Chromium Browser, will use the QWERTY layout when using modifier keys.

Is there anyway to set it globally that when I use a specific layout, the modifier keys go with it?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
I only use a qwerty keyboard, but in System Preferences under Keyboard/Input you can click the plus and add Dvorak. Maybe that will do what you want.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I already have Dvorak set up. The issue is with the modifier keys. For some reason, they are using QWERTY in some apps. Thoughts?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The problem is that some applications will ignore the keyboard setup entirely. That negates the use of shortcut keys when switching to the Dvorak keyboard. MS Office is one such app that behaves that way, and there are others.

OP
M
Reaction score
So, you're saying it's not something that the system controls and reports to apps?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Whether or not the system reports it to apps makes no difference if the apps in question ignore it. But yes, the system is aware and makes apps aware of the keyboard setup.

OP
M
Reaction score
True.

I suppose it depends on how Macs operate. My assumption was that the OS would handle keystrokes and then broadcast the corresponding key codes to anything that cared to listen. If that were the case, then keyboard layout wouldn't matter, because the OS would only be broadcasting the final key codes. Requiring apps to handle layouts seems too low-level a task for them to me. I guess I have a lot to learn about Macs!

Thank you for your help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One of our UK members has vast experience in re-mapping the keyboard. It's not an easy task but it can be done. Many of us like yourself have come over from the "dark side", and some of us still have to work with both Macs and PCs. So yes, it's hard to get used to doing things differently.

OP
M
Reaction score
LOL. Yes, I actually work with both Linux and Windows, depending on the task. Mac seems like a pretty decent compromise between the two - proprietary and commercial meets open source and Linux goodness. I suppose like either operating system, Mac will have its "quirks". Ah well. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.