There was an error while gathering PCI card info

Reaction score
Can anyone shed a light on the error message "There was an error while gathering PCI card info".
Details of how error started:

1. I recently bought a Mac Pro Mid 2012
2 x 2.4 GHz 6 core intel zeon
12 Gb DDR3
Firmware flashed Video Graphics card: ATI Radeon 6870
OXS 10.7.5

2. I installed a MOTU PCIe 424 audio interface card that worked fine on my previous Mac Pro 2006.

3. After installing the MOTU PCIe 424, I booted up the new mac.
Although it was seeing the card in system prefs/audio, it was not communicating with the external MOTU HD 192 audio interface.
When I went to system profile / PCI cards, I was getting that message : There was an error while gathering PCI card info

4. I left that new Mac on and went away for a bit. When I came back, my new Mac Pro 2012 was dead.

5. Investigations showed that the logic board and power supply were fried.

6. The guy I bought the Mac Pro from gave me a one year guarantee, but now is refusing to take it back, saying that the MOTU PCIe 424 board was the culprit - I find this hard to believe. - I will be testing the card soon in a friend's redundant Windows machine.

7. My main suspicion is that either the non mac compatible ATI Radeon 6870 (flashed) or an incorrect setting of the fan control (most likely) fried the mac.

*Note: the previous owner who is a bit of a techie, came over at the beginning and installed the video card, flashed the firmware and also installed and set up the fan control software - I left the settings how he set them.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
6. The guy I bought the Mac Pro from gave me a one year guarantee, but now is refusing to take it back, saying that the MOTU PCIe 424 board was the culprit - I find this hard to believe. - I will be testing the card soon in a friend's redundant Windows machine.

7. My main suspicion is that either the non mac compatible ATI Radeon 6870 (flashed) or an incorrect setting of the fan control (most likely) fried the mac.

If the MOTU PCIe 424 board was working OK in your older Pro, I doubt seriously that it could be the culprit. I haven't heard of an improperly flashed Radeon 6870 card destroying the logic board although I wouldn't rule that out.

Which fan control setting are you referring to? If any overheating was occurring your Pro would have shut down to prevent damage. Also, did you buy the Pro from someone on eBay or a private owner? And what method of payment did you use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Flashed gfx cards are always a risk alas. Did the Mac Pro work at all when you got it prior to installing the MOTU card?

Compatible with PowerMac G5's and Mac Pros.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.