• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

AppleTV Current Movie Rentals

Reaction score
I find it difficult to believe that there's any other motivation than the god almighty $$$ for highlighting three of Robin Wiliams' best movies at the top of the movie page on AppleTV not more than 24 hours of his tragic passing.

Ironically, perhaps he wouldn't have been so distraught as to take his own life if AppleTV had featured those movies in their current position a week ago!!

Very distasteful, Apple. Of course, we will all be watching them again and again after "we" have given a moment of reflection and grief. But not a day after his death.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I find it difficult to believe that there's any other motivation than the god almighty $$$ for highlighting three of Robin Wiliams' best movies at the top of the movie page on AppleTV not more than 24 hours of his tragic passing.

Ironically, perhaps he wouldn't have been so distraught as to take his own life if AppleTV had featured those movies in their current position a week ago!!

Very distasteful, Apple. Of course, we will all be watching them again and again after "we" have given a moment of reflection and grief. But not a day after his death.

Well, I don't disagree w/ your feelings and I'm sure many will be wanting to watch his films, but not really in the right forum - should be in the 'lounge' - and I'm sure many of the other streaming services will try to 'cash in' on Robin's tragic death. Dave :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@OP I see your point about this possibly being an attempt to "cash in" on Mr. Williams' death (apparent suicide). Here are a couple of things to think about though:

1. If I'm not mistaken those placements are based upon the number of rentals/purchases.There's something different about being deliberately put there by Apple vs. getting there because many people wanted to see the movies. If Apple put them there deliberately I'd have a problem. I suspect they are there because many people chose to download them.

2.Are you suggesting that his death would not have occurred if his movies were number one last week? If so, I don't think that's a valid conclusion. He had won the admiration of fans and peers for years yet sadly also battled depression during that time.If he had toiled in obscurity for years maybe the conclusion works but in this case I don't think so. I doubt any amount of fan adulation would have prevented this tragedy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I'd imagine people could be interested in seeing his movies due to his passing. My wife and I talked about his passing last night, and got pretty bummed out. She suggested we watch Good Morning Vietnam as he is gone, there was nothing for us to do for him, and perhaps some of his humor would be a fitting tribute of course. Anyhow, we don't own the movie and it never occurred to me to try Apple TV. I'll have to do that now.

Suicide is a pretty involved topic. All I'll bother with in addressing this is that I find it a bit short sighted, naive and a tad bit insulting to the deceased and survivors to reduce the tragedy of this family to position of movies on an Apple gadget. I'd have to imagine there was more going on.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Suicide is a pretty involved topic. All I'll bother with in addressing this is that I find it a bit short sighted, naive and a tad bit insulting to the deceased and survivors to reduce the tragedy of this family to position of movies on an Apple gadget. I'd have to imagine there was more going on.

Kudos. You summed that up much better than I did.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.