Some Questions About Library Folder Items

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM SSD OSX 10.11 & 2006 MBP Stuck At 10.6.8
Good Day To Everyone!

Once in a while, I look around in Finder just for fun. I always am curious about OS X & *** it all works together. I like to learn things.

Today, I noticed 3 User/Library items I could not find anything about. If you all don't mind, I'd like to ask what these are used for.

The first is in User/Library/Caches. It is called com.yourcompany.NoticeBoard. In that folder is a file titled cache.db. I can't open it to peek inside. The cache was last modified yesterday in the morning. Interestingly, I have 2 user accounts (profiles?) on this MacBook Pro and the other user does not have this file. My wife's MBP doesn't have it on any of her profiles.

All I could find on an internet search about it was at another forum. Someone asked about it & someone else sent a crabby reply saying the poster should not be messing with stuff. Then the discussion wandered. So, that wasn't helpful. I'm just curious what it is & what i's used for.

The next one is BreakPad. Finder search doesn't show it. Easy Find shows it in User/Library/Preferences as com.breakpad.crash_report_sender.plist The word also shows up in User/Library A folder that has a folder called Camino in it. In Camino is nothing. It is safe to delete when I remove Camino from my computer? (I don;t use Camino because when I open the browser, there is a notice that it is not being developed any longer.) It also is in the other user profile on my MBP

The last one is QCComposition Repository It's in User/Library/Caches. Again, this one is only on one user profile on only my McBook Pro. All I could find on an internet search is that it is related to a developer tool. As you can guess from reading here, I am not a developer. Where are the developer tools located on my Mac & how do I get them off the hard disk to save space? (Or should I leave them alone?)

I am using a Mid-2007 MacBook Pro with OS X 10.6.8 as the operating system.

Hope I didn't get greedy and ask too many questions. If so, I apologize.
Any advice & information you all can share will be appreciated. Thanks Much!
Paul

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The first is in User/Library/Caches. It is called com.yourcompany.NoticeBoard. In that folder is a file titled cache.db.
The db file is a database, likely sqlite. If you download a sqlite explorer program, you can probably open it with that to view its contents. The yourcompany part simply notes that the people who designed it didn't name their app properly (didn't provide a clean app id). A setup application for my WD MyBook Live has a cache folder at com.yourcompany.My-Book-Live-Setup. Initial searches seem to suggest that it's part of Apple's CommerceKit which is...well, I have no idea.

The next one is BreakPad. Finder search doesn't show it. Easy Find shows it in User/Library/Preferences as com.breakpad.crash_report_sender.plist The word also shows up in User/Library A folder that has a folder called Camino in it. In Camino is nothing. It is safe to delete when I remove Camino from my computer? (I don;t use Camino because when I open the browser, there is a notice that it is not being developed any longer.) It also is in the other user profile on my MBP
Assuming that the breakpad folder is one for Google's BreakPad (client side crash reporting library) and it's only for Camino, you're probably fine to delete it. It wouldn't hurt to back it up first though.

The last one is QCComposition Repository It's in User/Library/Caches. Again, this one is only on one user profile on only my McBook Pro. All I could find on an internet search is that it is related to a developer tool. As you can guess from reading here, I am not a developer. Where are the developer tools located on my Mac & how do I get them off the hard disk to save space? (Or should I leave them alone?)
Leave it. Just because you're not a developer doesn't mean that it isn't needed. In fact, you've got a whole bunch of developer tools on your machine that are needed for other things. Odds are that this is no different.

OP
PGB1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM SSD OSX 10.11 & 2006 MBP Stuck At 10.6.8
Thank You Van Smith for taking the time to reply & your suggestion about sqlite.

I got to look inside yourcompany. Mostly I found what looks like ancient Egyptian writing, but did find these two items in plain English-

<string>http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/22/32/com.apple.notification.mavericks.snowleopard/r7hihl1cgz71olyv0h9h8yx2zhn4ubhh2g/com.apple.notification.mavericks.snowleopard.pkg</string>
<key>_CFURLStringType</key>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

I am wondering if there is an automatic program on my Mac that checks compatibility for Mavericks? Just a guess. That db was last modified today at 9:30am (I was at the computer at that time & probably had Safari open.) If so, I wonder if I can stop the program from running or maybe get rid of it until I need it at upgrade time.

Do any ideas come to mind when looking at those lines form the file?

I'll move Breakpad out to the desktop & see how things go. I don't use Camino.
I do back up daily- Just in case.

On your advice, i'll leave the developer tools alone. Heck, someday I might learn enough to actually develop something!

Thanks Again,
Paul

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.