I'm lost - and my iMac keeps crashing

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was hoping I could find some answers here, I know there are a few threads on why peoples iMac's are crashing so I apologise - here is another one. I have tried following all the various options on how to fix the problem but its just not doing it, plus I admit I'm not the sharpest when it comes to computers.

It was bought in 2009, 4g RAM etc. Basic set up when you purchase. I have Verified Disk, Repaired Disk, transferred all my files onto an external hard drive and erased my computer, re-installed fresh 10.6.3 then upgraded to 10.8 (i think it was, im not on that computer at the moment - needed to give it some space).

At first the freeze/crash begins maybe a couple of hours after turning on computer for first time in the day, then it becomes more frequent. The screen almost stutters, then the image on the screen becomes disjointed and pixelated - sometimes I have just enough time to press Save on the project im working on. I then have no option but to turn it off holding the power button.

I do a lot of audio on Pro Tools, Logic and run the audio through a Mackie Onyx 1620i mixing desk - sometimes the computer brings up the colourful beach ball when the Mackie is turned on and I can feel it is struggling. I turn off the Mackie and the ball goes away, turn the Mackie back on and its fine, it had its little hissy fit and is now behaving. I know the mixing desk is not the reason because it freezes when it is not connected, and also happened in the past using the Mbox - however I do have a feeling the firewire and sample rates could be making this computer chug a bit. Plus it freezes/crashes when I'm not doing anything to do with audio.

I run Safari. And Microsoft Word, sometimes Excel, but that is pretty much the extent of programs that I use. After starting a clean slate last night, opting to not install the Microsoft programs and only Logic and Pro Tools, leaving I think 80% space on the computer it froze on me again.

I'm stumped. Am I running too little RAM or something else in my system requirements that may be causing this to struggle? It is out of warranty now so taking it to the doctor will cost, so I'm trying to find a solution before resulting to that. Or has it just reached its expiry date?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.
Kapers

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
At first the freeze/crash begins maybe a couple of hours after turning on computer for first time in the day, then it becomes more frequent. The screen almost stutters, then the image on the screen becomes disjointed and pixelated - sometimes I have just enough time to press Save on the project im working on. I then have no option but to turn it off holding the power button.

My first thought (given that the computer will run for a couple hours before the first crash/freeze)...is that you have an over-heating issue. This can be due to:

- a non-operating or improperly operating fan
- a dirty dirty dirty computer

The first thing I would do is open it up...and blow everything out with some good shots of canned compressed air. With special emphasis on the fans & the cooling heatsinks.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If it was purchased new in 2009 it can run up to 32GB of memory and for what you are doing, 4GB is pretty negligible. Also how much free space is on the hard drive?

OP
K
Reaction score
My first thought (given that the computer will run for a couple hours before the first crash/freeze)...is that you have an over-heating issue. This can be due to:

- a non-operating or improperly operating fan
- a dirty dirty dirty computer

The first thing I would do is open it up...and blow everything out with some good shots of canned compressed air. With special emphasis on the fans & the cooling heatsinks.

- Nick

Thanks mate... I have noticed it gets pretty heated, but today blew that theory out crashing first up in about 10 minutes while playing Logic with the comp still pretty cool temp - not to say it doesnt have any dust in there, i'm sure it does.

Harry - I have been 'umming' and 'ahhing' for a while that I should perhaps upgrade the 4GB that I currently have. Right now after clearing out and starting fresh I have 639.79GB free space, used 17.88 GB - pretty much only have the standard programs when installing and Logic Pro at the moment. The only two programs Ive used have literally been Safari and Logic Pro since the re-boot.

It would be a good idea to up the memory yeah? It says for Pro Tools and Logic the minimum requirements are 2GB so thought I was in the clear.

Cheers guys, really appreciate your feedback.
Kapers

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks mate... I have noticed it gets pretty heated, but today blew that theory out crashing first up in about 10 minutes while playing Logic with the comp still pretty cool temp...

Ok...we will try something else.:) You mentioned having 4 gig of ram.

- Did you purchase this computer brand new?
- If you did buy it new...did the computer come with 4gig of ram...or did you upgrade it?
- 3rd question. When the computer freezes...does anything special happen? Does everything just freeze...or does it go to a gray screen with a message that is in about 5 different languages?

* Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
I bought it new with the 4GB, have not had any upgrades done to except for the software updates from time to time - not all the time, and not every program gets its bonus but it is up to date now after the re-boot.

When it freezes/crashes the screen does a little twitch, then very soon after, sometimes a couple of seconds, sometimes straight away (mainly when I move my mouse or click), then the windows I have open or programs twitch again and then it all becomes pixelated. I wish I could screenshot it next time but I can't press anything... i'll try and take a photo on my phone and post it next time it happens.

Cheers,
Kapers

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...I have open or programs twitch again and then it all becomes pixelated.

When I hear "pixilation" I get a little bit concerned.

Try this (just for the heck of it)...remove all your ram...then reseat the ram (reinstall the ram).

Also...does the fans on your iMac ever get loud (high rpm's)?

Maybe you could install the free app "iStat Pro"...and check your computers temps...just in case there is a high temp issue:

iStat pro for Mac 4.92 Download - TechSpot

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks Nick.

I ended up taking it to a Mac Doctor - Im now in the last week of uni and got desperate, needed to speed up the fix and get it done. Ended up being told it was graphics card that came up in the diagnostic test - ive had the computer home for a day and after spending $700 in total the computer froze again - 3 times now!!

Obviously taking it back in and demanding them for a refund, and a proper diagnostic test this time. I'm assuming when they pulled it apart that various things were checked like the ram etc.

Can it be that the computer is just on its last legs and I need to accept that I may need to look at a new computer? Surely that is not the case and it should be fixable?

C

chas_m

I'm curious as to what you bought for that $700. They can't have replaced the graphics card, as its soldered to the motherboard. So they must have replaced the entire logic board, but clearly this didn't fix the problem.

Get a refund, and either take it to a proper Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider -- or get a newer computer. I suspect that the diagnosis you were given is correct, but clearly the tech didn't do nearly enough testing before giving it back to you!

OP
K
Reaction score
I asked them about that when I dropped it off last time and they said it is not soldered on and I did get a replaced upgraded graphics card.

I got it back yesterday and turned it on for first time today - after 20 minutes it happened again. They said the issue was that the 'graphics card' was not 'reset' to the system when installed...?!? When I picked it up they said it froze a couple of times, which prompted them to try fix it, but mentioned that when it did freeze it did not do the same thing on the computer screen they had linked to mine when doing the diagnosis. This lead him to suggest that if it happens again that I should bring it back and they will try putting a new LCD screen on it.

When I got home and this happened I thought about what he said and remembered that in the past I have had grey 'burn' marks creeping up on the screen... would this be connected? Does changing the LCD screen fix freezes/pixelation?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Who precisely is a 'Mac Doctor'? If not an Apple Reseller, need to have it diagnosed propery. Like chas m fear you have been scammed!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.