How to get timemachine to use my webserver for my backups

Reaction score
Hi,

I currently pay for web server space for my website and it comes with unlimited space etc...

Now instead of going out and buying an external harddrive to back-up to I thought why not utilise what I already have!

I was wondering if anyone knew how I would go about getting this setup and if anyone has already done something similar?

Thanks,
Jack

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

As far as I know, Time Machine can use an external HD or a NAS for its backup store. The only way your website would potentially be used is to to mount your website as a folder using SMB/AFP locally on your Mac and then maybe that might work.

However, websites don't give you that access..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
I know that there is a procedure for Ubuntu but it involves modifying your mac computer on the CLI level. They say that it also makes it less secure. I will be following this thread to see what unfolds.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I know that there is a procedure for Ubuntu but it involves modifying your mac computer on the CLI level.

What does Ubuntu and the Mac command line have to do with each other? If you can do it in Ubuntu, why would you use the command line on the Mac?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.