How does the new mac mini compare to my current PC?

Reaction score
The funny thing, is that I was going to purchase the intel imac this week, but just discovered today that the new mac mini's were released. Overall, I'm impressed with the improvements the made to the mac mini.

I was hesitant to purchase the imac due to the investment. Now, I'm considering the new mac mini :p

I'm just curious as to how the new mac mini stacks up against my PC. I know it's a difficult comparison, and not apples to apples. Would you anticipate noticeable speed differences? Just curious to get your input...

Current System:
Case: Shuttle
Chip: Athlon 3800+ (not dual)
memory: 1GB
Bus: 1000mhz bus speed
Graphics card: ATI 256MB

I'm looking to purchase an apple to try a new system, and to have fun! The applications I most often use include: filemaker, excel, word, internet, and light photoshop, no gaming

There are many of you who are more tech savvy, and know the hardware/systems better than me. What are your thoughts...

Thanks,

VJ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
You dont tell enough about your current PC.

Is your CPU the AMD X2 3800+?
what mobo?
there is no such thing as a 1GB bus. Its 1000mhz bus speed
What is a 256 Radeon?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
Well compared to a standard Athlon 3800+ (non-dual core) it would be very close in terms of performance but it is really hard to tell until people get their hand onto them.

My guess is that the mini could far very well as I would factor in the extra cache, but it could also drop off due to a slow data bus.

And again, what is a 256 Radeon?

OP
V
Reaction score
I updated my original post....

I guess at the end of the day, I was just curious if the new mac mini would have better (quicker) performance than my athlon 3800+. Being a dual core I just thought the mac mini would have an advantage. I also know that the components play a large role in the "overall" performance. I guess you really to need to take the new mac mini for a test drive to truly know....

vj

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
VakeJ said:
I updated my original post....

I guess at the end of the day, I was just curious if the new mac mini would have better (quicker) performance than my athlon 3800+. Being a dual core I just thought the mac mini would have an advantage. I also know that the components play a large role in the "overall" performance. I guess you really to need to take the new mac mini for a test drive to truly know....

vj

No, your Athlon would be faster. My wife now has a 20" iMac Core Duo running at 2ghz with 2gb ram. The 2ghz single-core Athlon 3200+ Mobile processor in my laptop is still faster than her machine (also has 2gb ram). I don't know what the benchmarks say, but my machine feels faster than her machine, and I use mine everyday. So there's a user opinion for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.