OS X 10.10 discussion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 iMac 20", 2013 iMac 24". 2007 Mini
Is there anywhere where people who are running Yosemite Beta can discuss problems/ask questions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well with Yosemite mounted on its own partition, no problems whatsoever. Safari is different but great!

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No real problems here, either... just funny little quirks. I also have mine on an external drive, and it's working fairly well. I have installed 2 accounts so far. In the main account,
there's a 'new' calculator, with a new icon. In the secondary account, it's the old calculator and old icon. I haven't been able to change the old to the new.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I've had one or two programs warn me that they are not currently comparable with 10.10 but that is to be expected. I think the current version of Carbon Copy Cloner was one I think. The only other problem so far has been that my Bluetooth headset is not recognized under Yosemite.

I thought I was having an audio issue where the 3.5 mm headphone jack was not switching back and forth properly. It turns out that this seems to be a problem with my hardware. It first appeared under Yosemite but now appears under Mavericks as well.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I've read elsewhere about CCC not working....

Yes, I've read elsewhere that CCC didn't work so well, and I have had a few problems with my Griffin iMic as well. It too behaves strangely back in 10.8 as well. Hope it's not ruined... I really love the device.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did not know that about the iMic. I have two of them but haven't had a need to use them in a while so I didn't know there was problem under 10.8.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did not know that about the iMic. I have two of them but haven't had a need to use them in a while so I didn't know there was problem under 10.8.

No... no problem under 10.8 *until* you've run it in 10.10. It isn't 'there' for me until I unplug it and plug it back in. Then back in 10.8 I have to do the same where I never used to.

C

chas_m

I've noticed a new issue lately with AOL chat rooms in Messages. iMovie (latest version) doesn't work in Yosemite without a terminal hackaround. Lots of little graphic glitches in programs that do run properly but aren't updated for "dark" mode or just Yosemite overall. Had to get special versions from the developers of Cyberduck and Forklift before either one would work properly, and Locko is still non-functional (new update on the way). 1Password sorta works, sorta doesn't in the browser plug-in.

In short, lots of little things, no show-stoppers unless you need FTP programs (Filezilla works, but Cheeses Cripes is it ever ugly compared to CyberDuck/Forklift!!). I was quite astonished to note that Photoshop CS3 (yes, that's right CS3 from 2007) works, though of course some plug-ins do not.

It's interesting to open an "old" program in Yosemite and note how many elements rely on Apple APIs for appearance (which you can tell because they have changed in Yosemite). So far, overall, most things work as expected but yes, it's not quite ready for prime time and yes, it's A BETA and should not be used on your moneymaker machines unless you like getting caught short when your "assumption" that program X will work turns out to be not the case!

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No... no problem under 10.8 *until* you've run it in 10.10. It isn't 'there' for me until I unplug it and plug it back in. Then back in 10.8 I have to do the same where I never used to.

So now, this morning, it's working?!! Don't have the problem I did have. Good to know they're working on the problems!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I've had one or two programs warn me that they are not currently comparable with 10.10 but that is to be expected. I think the current version of Carbon Copy Cloner was one I think. The only other problem so far has been that my Bluetooth headset is not recognized under Yosemite................

When Yosemite is released 'officially', I'll need to upgrade my MBPro & iMac (both new in early 2013) - currently, I'm using Time Machine (TM) on both computers (w/ external Seagate 1 TB HDs) and also CCC to two partitions on an OWC external HD - assume the developers of CCC will have their software working w/ the new OS X?

I'm sure many of us 'newbies' will have similar questions here - my plan would to be have TM current & also to run CCC on my Mavericks machines, then do the upgrades to both (hope all goes well), and finally run TM & CCC - this is a simplification but for the 'experts' here who have gone through many major OS X upgrades, what might be the recommendations & warnings?

Not sure if this is the thread to be asking these questions but maybe a start since the official release is soon to come - thanks. Dave :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That looks like a good plan Dave. I've done numerous OS updates successfully without backing up first but that's not a good idea. With a backup you can easily go back to Mavericks if your Mac doesn't like Yosemite for some reason.

The developer of CCC has a good history of making his software fully functional when new versions of OS X hits the streets.I suspect there will be a new release/fix timed to coincide with the release of 10.10. Not much point doing that too far in advance of the final release. Last minute changes could break things again.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, now I have flashing desktop icons in 10.10 beta!! I made 2 accounts - my main and a secondary... and in the main account on the desktop where I've elected to 'show all hard drives', the hard drive and folder icons are flashing at the rate of about once per 6-7 seconds. This isn't occurring in the secondary account.

Anyone else?!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have noticed a little snag in Safari. Going to enter search details in the URL bar often causes Safari to not respond. Overcame this by placing Google in the favourites bar, otherwise no problems. Yosemite Public Beta 2 came out yesterday, or overnight for you guys behind us in the times!

Last edited:
OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have noticed a little snag in Safari. Going to enter search details in the URL bar often causes Safari to not respond. Overcame this by placing Google in the favourites bar, otherwise no problems. Yosemite Public Beta 2 came out yesterday, or overnight for you guys behind us in the times!

I've been on 2 for I don't know how long, and I hear 3 is out but I don't see it anywhere...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Interesting as Beta 2 just showed up last night for me also. I was checking every day.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Beta 2 showed for me late last night/ early this morning. Haven't been able to download it yet. Getting an error every time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is a difference between Yosemite Developer and Public Betas. Plublic Beta two was released yesterday. Dveloper versions are up to 6.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting as Beta 2 just showed up last night for me also. I was checking every day.

In appstore under 'purchases' it says I was updated July 21... Beta 2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes they say that as the date of your original Yosemite download not an update, well at least mine does. Does not change for the updates.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes they say that as the date of your original Yosemite download not an update, well at least mine does. Does not change for the updates.

So how, when, where, by whom etc. did I wind up with 'beta 2'? I did get updates for iMovie and I guess it was a general system update oh... maybe a week ago? Didn't see anything said about 'beta 2'. Doesn't really matter... just kinda baffling.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.