2006 iMac Bad Screen

Reaction score
I have an iMac that turns on and boots up just fine, but it has a black screen (like its off) all the time. Instead of getting the screen fixed, would connecting another monitor via a mini DVI to DVI adapter permit me to view what's on my computer?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yes and no. Yes you can plug an external monitor into the computer to view things.

But the difficult part is getting to the drop down menus of the Mac OS to get access to System Preferences so you can adjust the display settings. And of course these drop down menus are on the internal disply that you cannot see.

Just in case the internal display is not totally dead. Shine a flashlight on the display...and see if you can see the desktop (or anything). If so...then you can get access to System Preferences. Then adjust the display settings to "mirror"...and you will be good to go.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.