Installing Avast without UNinstalling ClamXav

Reaction score
I had installed ClamXav (from their download site), Onyx and Avira before I learnt of "avast!" antivirus software on this forum.

Avira seemed efficient BUT I think its recurring, annoying, illogical, 'update' warning windows is aimed at pushing you to buy the non free Deluxe version.

When I tried to install "avast!", a window stated "avast!" had detected Avira and said to Uninstall that non compatible software before "avast!" would install. I eventually worked out how to Uninstall Avira which was far from straightforward as no UNINSTALL facility is included.

Having finally removed Avira ( including the component hidden in /Library/Application Support/...), I again tried to install "avast!" Again, a window saying that ClamXav had been detected and to uninstall ClamXav, before "avast!" would install.

I find ClamXav (with the 'essential' Sentry component included) to be reassuring but Avast demands I uninstall ClamXav BEFORE Avast will install. Can I have both Avast and ClamXav installed concurrently as I am happy with the latter but know nothing of the former, please?

Warm regards, Paul Ranger 1.

P.S. Avast raises no compatibility issues with Onyx being installed.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You only need ONE antivirus if you insist on having any. They fight each other as you have found out.
Stick with ClamX if you feel you need one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.