Time Machine preparing backups

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
I realize I have posted this question a while back, but after erasing my external hard drive and reformatting (journaled) my backups still seems to be stuck in the "preparing" mode from anywhere to15-20 minutes before actually starting. Does this mean I should just purchase a new ext.hd? Any input would be appreciated.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The first thing I would do is mount the drive in Disk Utility, select it and verify the disk. Fix any errors that may be reported. Then try the backup again. If that does not fix the problem try these tips.

OP
firesidedog
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The first thing I would do is mount the drive in Disk Utility, select it and verify the disk. Fix any errors that may be reported. Then try the backup again. If that does not fix the problem try these tips.

Yeah I forgot to mention that did verify the disk and it showed no problems. However on my next backup I will follow your tips. Thanks for the link.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Let us know if that solves the problem. If this does not cure the problem I think I have seen a few other tips that might be relevant.

OP
firesidedog
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I forgot to mention that did verify the disk and it showed no problems. However on my next backup I will follow your tips. Thanks for the link.

I was hoping this would work. But it hasn't. Any other suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I was hoping this would work. But it hasn't. Any other suggestions?

How much data do you have to backup? The 15 to 20 minutes preparation may be normal if the amount of data is very large. Since the drive checks OK and you followed the hints that Slydude linked you to, the only thing left may be to put a new drive in service. You can retain the older drive along with the new one in case you need to recover data from it sometime.

OP
firesidedog
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How much data do you have to backup? The 15 to 20 minutes preparation may be normal if the amount of data is very large. Since the drive checks OK and you followed the hints that Slydude linked you to, the only thing left may be to put a new drive in service. You can retain the older drive along with the new one in case you need to recover data from it sometime.

About 260g. out of a 1tb. western digital.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.