dvd stuck

Reaction score
Once again, a dvd won't eject. Before taking the think apart or in for service, I thought I'd ask and see if there is something I haven't tried. Its an iMac G5.

This is what I've tried so far ...

Press eject key
Move icon to trash
Restart holding mouse button
Pushing Eject button in Disc Utilituy

A previous post on this refers to a Youtube video
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krfh8wlhN5s&feature=related)
This is interesting but before resorting to something invasive, is there something else that I might do?

Thanks
Bob

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Considering the age of the computer…and the disk is "stuck again"…maybe the optical drive is on it's last legs…or has "collapsed" entirely.

Slot loading optical drives are not known for their long-term durability. A great alternative is to purchase an inexpensive external optical drive.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
There are sure a lot better suggestions and methods that that guys poor and overkill IMO method.

Sticky tape or double-sided sticky tape wrapped around some thin sticks or a credit card, or thin plastic tweezers (metal ones if desperate) come to mind and have worked for me.

And easier with a laptop where one can keep the optical slot pointing down, but iMacs can be tilted in that direction as well. And with the edge suspended over the side of the desk helps with the forced ejection.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
True, but basically all iMac slot loading optical drives are about the same, even on the old front loading iMacs, just a different position. And may as well include all the slot-loading portables I guess. Same sort of mechanism.

It's still a dumb how-to video IMHO!!

C

chas_m

1. Put a towel down.
2. Turn the iMac G5 so that the screen is resting on its side, with the DVD drive overhanging the table and pointing down.
3. Try the "hold the mouse button down and keep holding" restart trick. This time, gravity should assist you at least enough to pull the disk (GENTLY) out.

I agree that the drive is probably toast.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are sure a lot better suggestions and methods that that guys poor and overkill IMO method.

Remember. The OP mentioned that this is at least the 2nd time this has happened. If it was the first time...less severe suggestions can be made. When it happens multiple times...then more serious things should be considered.

It's an iMac G5 (which means that it's 9-10 years old). If the optical drive has been used regularly (and since it's a slot loading drive)...there is a very good chance it is on it's last legs.

Yes...your suggestion will help get the DVD out that is stuck in there at the moment.:) But once it's out...maybe the OP should stop using the drive (sticking disks in it).;)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
The disc came out by sticking a credit card in the slot and pressing the eject button.

I don't think we'll risk this again and so I now want to get an external cd / dvd burner. Any suggestions / recommendations? Nothing fancy ...

Thanks
Bob

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think we'll risk this again and so I now want to get an external cd / dvd burner. Any suggestions / recommendations? Nothing fancy ...

Congrats on getting the disk out.:)

Not sure where you're located...but this external optical drive from OWC is always a good choice:

OWC VLU2SD24XS External 24X DVD DL USB 2.0... in stock at OWC

You can also shop online retailers like Newegg.com (and similar places) and see what they have.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The disc came out by sticking a credit card in the slot and pressing the eject button.

Thanks
Bob

Yes Nick I hear you and the drive may be goofy, but...

I recall several different iMac and MacBook models, both plastic and aluminum cased, where the optical slot was not aligned properly and the fix was to re-align the opening slot and also use a Dremel tool or a ladies nail "emery board" to enlarge and smooth the opening for the optical disk to enter and eject properly.

I recall having to do either or both with some of the Macs I've had, and on one, the slot edge even though being aligned properly, the edges were so close and sharp they had to be smoothed off to prevent scratching the DVD/CD disk.

Just maybe the OP has such an optical drive slot opening that needs to be improved. He can probably tell if the disk seemed to be hung up or caught on the outer cover edge when getting it out with the credit card.

Just saying... the optical mechanism may still be good. ;) ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes Nick I hear you and the drive may be goofy, but...

I recall several different iMac and MacBook models, both plastic and aluminum cased, where the optical slot was not aligned properly and the fix was to re-align the opening slot and also use a Dremel tool or a ladies nail "emery board" to enlarge and smooth the opening for the optical disk to enter and eject properly.

I recall having to do either or both with some of the Macs I've had, and on one, the slot edge even though being aligned properly, the edges were so close and sharp they had to be smoothed off to prevent scratching the DVD/CD disk.

Just maybe the OP has such an optical drive slot opening that needs to be improved. He can probably tell if the disk seemed to be hung up or caught on the outer cover edge when getting it out with the credit card.

Just saying... the optical mechanism may still be good. ;) ;)

I'm certainly not going to say this isn't possible. Only the OP knows if the disk(s) rub the computer housing on the way in or out of the optical drive. Maybe a long shot possibility…but certainly worth investigating before $$$ are spent on a repair/replacement.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.