USB upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15-inch, Late 2011 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7 10 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB
Can a USB 2.0 port on an iMac be upgraded to 3.0?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
No, but you could try a firewire or thunderbolt to usb 3 hub/adapter (expensive, I guess)

OP
DJBearOH
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15-inch, Late 2011 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7 10 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB
No, but you could try a firewire or thunderbolt to usb 3 hub/adapter

Would you or anyone happen to know where I could find one of these hub/adapters? Thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Can a USB 2.0 port on an iMac be upgraded to 3.0?

Hi DJ..... - you might want to provide information on your iMac (model/year) and the iOS installed - will give the 'hardware' experts here a much better idea about what may be a possible solution on your machine. Also, why do you need to upgrade to USB 3.0? There may be an alternate choice? Dave :)

OP
DJBearOH
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
RadDave, thanks for helping. I'm not sure of the model of iMac and MBP but they both have Mavericks on them. They're both from about 2011. They only have USB 2.0. I'm a DJ of over 25 years and have a rather large collection of CDs. I've been importing them into my MBP and after a while my CD slot jammed and stopped working. I have Apple Care on both computers. I got the CD fixed but have been reading that the CD slots aren't very reliable. So, I was contemplating on getting a Blu-Ray burner and even though they are backward compatible for USB 2.0 they can use USB 3.0. Someone earlier posted about using a Thunderbolt to USB 3.0 converter. Since a lot of USB devices being released are 3.0 I would like the ability to take advantage of it. I have no idea where to look for such a device and was asking for any help finding companies that would have them. Please ask any other questions that might help. Thanks for yours and anyone else's help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No slot loading optical drive is very reliable compared to desktop tray loaders. Make sure about the model of your iMac. The Mid 2011 have T/bolt, the mid/late 2010 models do not. Ubnder Hardware Overview in About this Mac look for iMac 12.1 Model Identifer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
RadDave, thanks for helping. I'm not sure of the model of iMac and MBP but they both have Mavericks on them. They're both from about 2011.....

Well, you can obtain the serial numbers of your Macs (About This Mac -> More Info.... which will show the SN); then go to Every Mac Website's 'lookup page' and enter the number there - provides all of the details needed! Dave :)

OP
DJBearOH
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, they both have Thunderbolt on them. My iMac is Mid 2011 and I can see not the side of my MBP it has a Thunderbolt port.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
..... I've been importing them into my MBP and after a while my CD slot jammed and stopped working. I have Apple Care on both computers. I got the CD fixed but have been reading that the CD slots aren't very reliable. So, I was contemplating on getting a Blu-Ray burner and even though they are backward compatible for USB 2.0 they can use USB 3.0. Someone earlier posted about using a Thunderbolt to USB 3.0 converter. Since a lot of USB devices being released are 3.0 I would like the ability to take advantage of it. I have no idea where to look for such a device and was asking for any help finding companies that would have them.......

Hi again DJ..... - some more clarification, i.e. by 'importing' your CD collection, are you putting the discs onto your computer's HDs as lossy files, such as MP3s? And why do you want a BD (Blu-ray disc) burner? You would be able to store a LOT of MP3 files on a BD - that's for sure!

Please check out your Mac models (as to my previous link) and let us know what specific kind of ports exist on your computers and exactly what you are trying to accomplish - another website to checkout is OWC (Other World Computing) which specializes in Mac (and iDevices) needs - might be something there to pique your interest - Dave :)

OP
DJBearOH
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Dave,
I verified that both my iMac and MBP have the Thunderbolt ports. What I'm trying to accomplish is importing my CDs to my computer. The reason that I would like a Blu-Ray burner is to back them all up to. I have a lot of other data that I would also like to back up. The reason for a Blu-Ray burner is that they hold a lot of data on the Blu-Ray discs. The reason for a thunderbolt to USB 3.0 converter is that the transfer rate is faster. Also, if I wanted to get another external HD for my computer I could get one that uses USB 3.0. I know that Blu-Ray burners will be able to use a USB 2.0 but by having a 3.0 it would cut down on burning time.
I know that's I could just use an external HD to back everything up but I like the idea of having a Blu-Ray burner to import my CDs and also to archive my data.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.