Upgrading Early 2009 17" Macbook Pro

Reaction score
I like my 17" MacBook Pro, so instead of replacing it I would like to just upgrade it with as much new hardware as I can to keep it on pace with my desktop. I am defiantly replacing the hard drive with a SSD and I may or may not replace the DVD drive with a Bluray drive depending on how expense they are. The last upgrade I need to do is the memory. I need to go from 4GB to 8GB, but was also wondering if I could go to memory with a faster clock rate? Or do I have to stay with the 1066MT/s clock rate. Also are there any other upgrades that I should consider?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Other than installing an SSD…putting a different drive into the optical drive bay…and upgrading the ram…that's about the limit of upgrades you can do on your MacBook Pro.

As far as the ram speed. Just go with what's recommended. Installing faster ram (even if would fit) will not provide a speed increase. The computer will just default to the speed it is/was designed for.

If you REALLY enjoy 17" MacBook Pro's (I have an Early 2011 17" MBP)…and you need faster performance…you can always upgrade to a newer model (Late 2011 was the last 17" MBP model).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As Nick suggests save for a newer model. A five year old computer will always be five years old (and ageing).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.