System accessing external HD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5, ML 10.8.2, 12GB RAM, 1TB HD
My Mavericks install on a mid-2011 Imac with 12gb RAM accesses my 2TB external HD every time I try to open any application or perform any other function (like opening a terminal session). I didn't have this problem until I upgraded to Mavericks and I'm at a loss as to what is causing it and how to remedy it. It's really annoying and it slows down the opening of the app quite a bit. The apps run fine after they are opened. This bouncing beach ball every time I try to do something is a royal pain.

Any and all suggestions and/or help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Where are your apps (and files that are being opened) installed (on the external, on the internal…or both places)? If anything is installed or located in the external drive…then the external drive will be accessed.

Also…what drive is the computer booting from…the internal or the external?

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Where are your apps (and files that are being opened) installed (on the external, on the internal…or both places)? If anything is installed or located in the external drive…then the external drive will be accessed.

Also…what drive is the computer booting from…the internal or the external?

- Nick

System boots from internal 1TB hard drive...the external 2TB drive is for storage only...I have no apps installed on the external drive.

Thanks for taking the time to read and post...I appreciate it... :D

Bob

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...the external 2TB drive is for storage only...I have no apps installed on the external drive.

Do you have any saved files that you need to access on the external drive? If so…then the apps installed on the internal drive will need to access these files on the external…as necessary.

On the other hand…if you do not have anything on the external drive that you access regularly…then why have it plugged into the computer if not needed?:)

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have any saved files that you need to access on the external drive? If so…then the apps installed on the internal drive will need to access these files on the external…as necessary.

On the other hand…if you do not have anything on the external drive that you access regularly…then why have it plugged into the computer if not needed?:)

- Nick

I have a ton of movies and music that I stream wirelessly to my Ipad, Apple TV and a Roku box. I have been considering unplugging it until I need it. I occasionally save a file to it other than movies but that's rare. Maybe I'll get a hub and just keep it handy to plug in and unplug...

Thanks again

Bob

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Try adding your 2TB external HD to your System Preferences Spotlight -> Privacy tab list.

Oppps, almost typed Stoplight there, aka: Spotlight!! ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a ton of movies and music that I stream wirelessly to my Ipad, Apple TV and a Roku box.

Maybe the external HD accessing you are concerned about is due to this. Is it possible that someone in your home/family is accessing the movies/music on the external drive.

Or…could someone in your neighborhood be "hi-jacking" your WiFi network…and accessing these files? In other words…are you sure your WiFi network is secure?

Another thought. Some folks use various applications to "share" their music & video files over the internet. Could this be a possibility?

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe the external HD accessing you are concerned about is due to this. Is it possible that someone in your home/family is accessing the movies/music on the external drive.

Or…could someone in your neighborhood be "hi-jacking" your WiFi network…and accessing these files? In other words…are you sure your WiFi network is secure?

Another thought. Some folks use various applications to "share" their music & video files over the internet. Could this be a possibility?

- Nick

No on any hijacking or internet sharing. I have the network hammered down for internal consumption over 2.4 and 5mhz using different passwords...no guest accounts...nothing hinky. Perhaps leaving it unplugged would be the best option -unless- I get the same "spinning beach ball" on apps that are all stored locally. I'll try that and see what happens. I have run Repair Permissions on the internal drive and it made 3 corrections on apps installed to the internal drive.

Thanks!!! I appreciate it...

Bob

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Perhaps leaving it unplugged would be the best option -unless- I get the same "spinning beach ball" on apps that are all stored locally.

This is what I was going to suggest next. If only temporarily as a troubleshooting measure.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is what I was going to suggest next. If only temporarily as a troubleshooting measure.

- Nick

It's unmounted for now...I'll keep an eye on my apps starting and see if it makes a difference or prevents the "beach ball"...

Thanks!!!

Bob

M

MacInWin

Also try eliminating it from Spotlight. That helped me. I'm sing EasyFind now. Seems to work much better than Spotlight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Also try eliminating it from Spotlight. That helped me. I'm sing EasyFind now. Seems to work much better than Spotlight.

+1. Yup, even if it's an echo of my #6 post, and I will also recommend Find Any File which I've been using since it was in beta.

Just for a demo, type in .lproj into Stoplight, er... Spotlight, and see what it finds.
Now type in .lproj into Find Any File and see what it finds.

Just a wee difference...???? ;)

PS: most of those .lproj folders are all the often surplus language crap. Don't mess with them unless you know what you're doing. English, en and Base (Mavericks) folders are mandatory and your Mac won't run without them!!!

Monolingual will get rid of the unnecessary language folders safely but read the FAQ manual first!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.