MacBook Air (2008) screen contents on iMac (2011)

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Air from 2008 and I would like to connect it up to my 2011 iMac so that it displays the contents of my MBA on the iMac's screen.

It looks like I have the "Apple Micro-DVI to DVI Adapter" (part: MB203G) which came with my MacBook Air and so I would need a Micro-DVI to Thunderbolt converter like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-METRE-MI...-DVI-CABLE-CON VERTOR-FOR-MAC-PC-Mini-DP-/331028854802

Do you think that it would work?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm assuming you're wanting to setup your 2008 MBA so that you can access it from the iMac via "Target Disk Mode"? Target Disk Mode requires either both machines to have Firewire or Thunderbolt ports. As long as the adapter is not too expensive, it might be OK to give it a try to see if you can get it to work.

Read the following article: LINK

OP
J
Reaction score
The cable is only £6.90, but I wasn't sure if it would work. My MBA is actually the first one from Early 2008 and it only have a micro-DVI and USB so my options are limited.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-METRE-MI...-DVI-CABLE-CON VERTOR-FOR-MAC-PC-Mini-DP-/331028854802

I want to simply display my MBA's contents on the iMac, still controlling it from the MBA.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I want to simply display my MBA's contents on the iMac, still controlling it from the MBA.

That's entirely different. Before we can give you a yes answer, we need to know which iMac you have - year and model. Be aware that only the 27" iMac models have a video input as well as output. If your iMac has two Thunderbolt ports, then you should be able to display the MBA screen on the iMac via the adapter you mentioned above.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
OP
J
Reaction score
The cable fitted as it should but the image did not come through, I made sure everything was as it should be but it just wasn't going to work, I guess the hardware was too old :(

I did read that it might not work as the 27" iMacs from 2009 were to only support DisplayPort video input, as I had the micro-DVI I might be (and was) out of luck: Tests confirm Apple's 27" iMac only supports DisplayPort input

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.