Unwanted Linksys Popup Window

Reaction score
Hi,
Four or five times a day when I'm in my browser, Firefox 31.0, a blank window pops onto my screen. In the menubar at the top is an active red radio button on tthe left and in the middle the title of the window "Join Linksys". In the bottom menubar(?) on the left is the little gear turning around and the forward and back arrows. In the middle is the URL http://www.apple.com/. On the bottom left is "Cancel". Since this window, about 2/3rds the size of my macbook screen, is a total annoyance, I will usually click "Cancel".

I don't know if this is a linksys or an apple problem. I do know that I never get invitations or ads from Apple or linksys, other than this.

I've done a search of my computer and I have no linksys products or software.

My MacBook is hardwired to the internet with an ethernet cable that goes to the most recent AT&T Uverse modem/router.

Any clues as to how to get this annoyance to stop?

Thank you,

Rafael

OP
S
Reaction score
This problem, 4 or 5 times a day, has been going on for at least six months.

I have screenshots of the windows on my desktop, but the "insert image" icon leads me to a box that asks for the URL for the images. How do I do that?

Thanks

Here are screenshots of the linksys windows I'm describing. I usually cancel the 1st at once, but if I let it stay on for a while it's own drop down announcement appears. The third attachment, an ad for a movie, only appeared once.

Join Linksys 1st Pop-Down.png

Join Linksys 2nd Pop-Down "Web Page Wouldn't Load".png

Join Linkseys MacBook Air Watch the film "Stickers".png

Last edited:
OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks Harryb,

I added ad block.

In addition I spoke to Apple tech support (and they didn't charge me!), and he looked at my System Preferences and we saw that Linksys was listed in the Network preference. We removed it. In the Advanced in Network preference it was in the list of 'Preferred networks' and we removed it from there too.

Now I shut doen and boot up my computer, and just have to wait and see if those "Join Linksys" ads show up again.

Rafael

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.