Retina Macbook Pro 13" running very hot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2012, i5 2.5GHZ, 4GB RAM
I bought a 13" Retina Macbook Pro at the weekend and whilst playing a Twitch stream at 720p in fullscreen and doing nothing else the CPU temps was reaching 98C. The notebook was on a stand at the time, with plenty of breathing room and fans running at around 5,000rpm.

I am sure this isn't normal? Should I take it back to the Apple store? Or try to reapply thermal paste?

Cheers

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Whatever you do, do not attempt to open it up and apply thermal paste unless you want to void your warranty. Assuming this is a new machine, take it on in and let Apple look it over to see if there is something wrong and if in fact it's really overheating.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Of course.

It tends to run at around 60C when idle and on a cold surface. Would this be classed as running hot?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Idling around 60C seems a tad high, but you should open up Activity Monitor and confirm that it is indeed idle. On my 15" rMPB with 2 VMs and Eclipse running at the same time, I usually idle around 65-68C. The moment I start debugging my code in one of the VMs, the temps jump to about 85C. During compilation, the temps jump to 99C-102C but come back down.

The fans right now are hovering around 2000 RPM and temps at 63C. When I reach those higher temps, the fan jumps up to 6000 RPM and more..

This is all perfectly fine and normal. Run GPU/CPU intensive things (games, videos, code it seems :) ) and your temps will spike, the fans should kick in to try to contain it or bring it down. It shouldn't remain at high temps if you start idling the machine..the up and down motion is fine..

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Idling around 60C seems a tad high, but you should open up Activity Monitor and confirm that it is indeed idle.
It tends to have background tasks like Dropbox and Google Drive services running, but apart from that I have nothing else open.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
And are those tasks running at any significant CPU usage or low?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.